We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Han-sur-lesse caves

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Han-sur-lesse caves

Hi

i have already bought return tickets from Namur to Dinant,however i want to change my itinerary and also go to Han-sur-lesse caves,i only have 1 day to do this and i have to get back to Chaleroi via return ticket from Dinant,then return ticket from Namur which i have paid for and printed out.It looks like a return bus to Ciney from Dinant then return train to Jemelle then return bus to Han-sur-lesse would this be the easiest route,bearing in mind i have allready purchsed these train tickets or does anyone know if their is a return bus from Dinant to Han-sur-lesse which would make things a lot easier,jeez i think my brain is going to go into meltdown he he.

La Citadelle de Dinant
Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, History Museums
Charles-de-Gaulle Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Adolphe Sax Statue
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,043 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

The usual way to get to the Grottes de Han by public transport is by train line 162 Brussels - Luxembourg, getting off at Jemelle and then taking TEC bus 29 Jemelle - Grupont, which stops at Han-sur-lesse (8km from Jemelle), for timetable see TEC site or http://www.damier.be/fiche.php?localite=792.

Stops on the line from Namur to Luxembourg are: NAMUR, Jambes-Est, Dave-Saint-Martin, Naninne, Sart-Bernard, Courrier, Assesse, Floree, Natoye, CINEY, Leignon, Chapois, Haversin, Aye, Marloie, JEMELLE, Forrieres, Grupont, Poix-Saint-Hubert, LIBRAMONT....

To get from DINANT to Jemelle by train you would have to go via Namur or Libramont, but the most logical-looking way would be to take bus 43 from Dinant to Ciney and train from there. All of these possibilities take between 1h40 and 2h, depending on time of day and connections, total time from Dinant to Han-sur-Lesse a bit more than 2hrs. As you have probably already found out, these possibilities show up if you put Dinant and Han-sur-Lesse into the boxes on http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/ (it then asks you to confirm that you mean Dinant (B) i.e. station and Han-sur-Lesse (T) which means TEC bus stop). I'm afraid there is no direct bus between Dinant and Han-sur-Lesse, so you will have to go via Jemelle.

Or, Han-sur-Lesse is 37 km from Dinant by road, so by taxi it would only take about 45 mins; you might consider phoning/e-mailing a taxi company to find out how much this would cost, e.g.:

- Taxi Mosan, tel. 082 22 78 88, taxismosan@yahoo.fr

- Allotax, tel. 082 22 94 94 / 0497 92 92 92, allotax@hotmail.com.

I checked to see whether it would be easier to get from Dinant to the Grottes de Neptune at Pétigny, which I really liked for the boat trip and son-et-lumière; but you would also have to go via Namur or else take 2 buses (via Heer Pont), total travel time up to 2h26 so slightly more than to Han!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

Wow

Thanks Gaminari i don't know if you were aware but the tec site comes up with "under construction" for some of their services in english,i have plenty time and enough info now though to mull it all over, as the day in question will be the 1st june. I was originally planning to go the the drop zone near Dinant but its only open at the weekend ): thanks again for all the info.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,043 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

Well I wouldn't have known because would have used the French version of TEC but the B-Rail site covers buses and other forms of local transport as well as trains. While this makes it more complicated to use for those who only want trains (which is why I recommend the Germany Railways site for trains only, plus it is more forgiving when you don't know the exact station name), it comes into its own when you are looking for local transport in rural areas of Belgium, and I think most of it is in English. It also has a lot of helpful features, for instance if you click on the icon for a bus or train, or the train number, it will display all the stops so you can work out where you need to get off; and I notice that for bus services it even provides a map of the route.

Anyway, hope you manage to work it out!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

Eh i meant 1st july jeez.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

What a difference,i had not realised the icons for trains/buses were clickable with directions,i can easily do the caves in the morning and Dinant in the afternoon,thanks again for explaining it all.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

Hi Gaminari

One last question please, the TEC site is extremely annoying as every time you ask a specific question in english it comes up with "page under construction" however, it appears to say a 1 day bus ticket in the Wallon district costs 6.50 euro and can be purchased at the office esplanade de la gare de chaleroi sud which closes at 19.30 have i got this right?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,043 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

Yes a 1-day ticket covering the whole of the Walloon region costs €6.50 (http://www.infotec.be/index.aspx?PageId=633010956838307612 - Billet libre parcours d'un jour - tout le réseau wallon)

You can buy it from the bus driver or from TEC kiosks ("Le billet libre parcours d'un jour est disponible auprès des chauffeurs et dans certaines aubettes du TEC").

For the list of sales points you can go to www.infotec.be/index.aspx… and fill in the area and type of ticket you want to buy. One of the possibilities is indeed:

Pavillon Info Sud

Esplanade de la Gare de Charleroi Sud

6000 CHARLEROI

Tél. : 071/23.41.15

Open Mon-Fri 05:30 - 19:30

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

thankyou very much for all your help Gaminari.

9. Re: Han-sur-lesse caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Dinant