We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bastogne tours

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bastogne tours

Is there a Battle of the Bulge day tour from Luxembourg City? I am finding tours that originate in Bastogne, but I will be in Luxembourg City without a car.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bastogne tours

I don't know of any tours from Luxembourg, but maybe ask in the forum for Luxembourg: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g190340-i789-Luxem…

You can reach Bastogne by train to Ettelbruck (24-36 mins) and bus from there (1 hr: http://www.mobiliteit.lu/medias/pdf/horaires-reseaux/RGTR/537.pdf); or if this isn't convenient, you could visit Diekirch instead: visitluxembourg.com/en/place/museum/national…

Edited: 2:57 am, January 24, 2014
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: bastogne tours

Penny H,

I started my tour in Bastogne. the only issue with starting in Luxembourg city is that you will spend time getting to/from the sites and that will cut into your time.

As mentioned above the Diekirch musuem is suppose to be excellent. I didnt know about it so it wasnt planned and i missed it. But i will go back again.

Just so you know, that 1 day isnt enough to see the Bastogne area, but you can get an idea.

you can take the train as mentioned. I did the trip in reverse. I stopped at Libramont and there is a bus that just outside the train station (bus you want is on the right and on the end) and they usually/try to time it so that you can get off the train and onto the bus. you can pay the bus driver for you ticket/fee. I missed the first bus since i wasnt sure about how to pay, but they are about 20+ mintues intervals. The bus i took was something like an express bus and the time was about 50 minutes. Some buses take longer tho.

Once you get into Bastogne, it puts you off at the "bus station" and its about 2 blocks from the main square.

Edited: 5:37 pm, January 25, 2014
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bastogne tours

Living in the Belgian province of Luxembourg north of Bastogne, I would say that, whilst there are lots of small museums all clambering for your Euros and a fair number of grounded tanks, there isn't really that much to see that is directly related to the Battle of the Bulge, although, of course, there is a lot of very pleasant scenery and the local people are very nice (but English isn't widely spoken).

We have yet to visit the brand new museum at Bastogne, but otherwise have found that by far the best museum was that in the small Luxembourg tourist resort of Clervaux which is easily reached by train from Luxembourg City and is also linked by bus to Bastogne. In general, public transport services are markedly better in the Grand Duchy (including the links to Bastogne) than in Belgian Luxembourg - although the regular 163b service between the railway at Libramont and Bastogne has already been noted.

Sanford, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: bastogne tours

We are traveling through Belgium next month on our way to Normandy and would like to see sites related to Battle of the Bulge. You suggest that Bastogne is NOT the best place to see Battle of the Bulge sites. Can you recommend where is a better choice? We expect to be there for 1 day.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bastogne tours

I still haven't found time to visit the new museum at Bastogne but I am sure that it is excellent and well worth a visit. The other museum that I recommended was that at Clervaux in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg which covers both the Battle of the Bulge (or, better, Battle of the Ardenne) and the German annexation of the Grand Duchy. They are only about half an hours drive apart and can easily be visited on the same day - the Bastogne museum is on the route towards Clervaux and Clervaux might be the better place to start.

There are a lot of other relics scattered around, both "stuffed and mounted" in towns and villages and in small museums, none really worth the detour (as Michelin would put it), but there really isn't anything else much unless you are trying to track the route of a particular unit with which you have family connections. The route between Clervaux and Bastogne would give you a good idea of the country through which the German attack took place.

6. Re: bastogne tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, July 29, 2015