We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

I searched the forum and didn't see an answer to what I'd expect is one of the most obvious questions about Liege -- where should one go to eat a Liege waffle? I loved the Liege waffles I ate in Bruges at Laurenzino.

Based on web searches, there is a place called Pollux in the Liege city center on Place de Cathedrale. Is it the best place to go? If not, what other places would you recommend? I'll have a car, so I can travel.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

You may find them under the name "gaufre au sucre" rather than "gaufre liégoise", as is the case with this famous pâtisserie in Liège, where you can buy them to take away: http://www.eggenols.be/index.php (which also calls the Brussels variety "gaufre molle"). Another such pâtisserie is Massin at, rue Puits en Sock, 8 (Outremeuse) and Place du Marché in the city centre : see www.opw.be/doc.php?id=rf26&tid=4&docid=356

It is more often the Brussels variety that is sold in cafés and restaurants as a dessert or, like pancakes, afternoon snack, to be eaten with a knife and fork: while the Liège variety is frequently sold from stalls and vans to eat from the hand, as they are firm enough to be held in the hand, and sweet enough to require no topping (not that this stops cafés and ice-cream shops from offering toppings!). You'll certainly find them, for example, being sold from stalls at the Sunday-morning Marché de la Batte.

If you will be passing through Brussels, the best place to eat fresh Liège-style waffles - and indeed the Brussels variety - is the upstairs café at Dandoy in rue C. Buls, one block from the Grand' Place and almost opposite the Amigo Hotel.

I don't know the exact equivalent for Liège, but Pollux is certainly the best-known place. See also (in French), www.lavenir.net/article/detail.aspx… - although the address given is for "Chez Marie", which has the same owners as Pollux at Place de la Cathédrale, 2..

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

Thank you! I will try to make it to all three places in Liege. We may go to Brussels for a day trip, and if so, I will try the cafe at Dandoy.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

Could you report back on the situation in Liège, so we know for the future? I asked someone who knows it well but she doesn't eat waffles.

Hope you enjoy your research!

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
159 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

Here is my report back on Liege waffles:

In Liege, I tried Pollux. They were made fresh and being sold from a walk-up window. I thought it was good but not as good as Laurenzino's. Interesting thing when I asked the locals about Liege waffles -- they said they make them at home, and nobody I talked to had a particular recommendation or even knew the names of places to buy them in Liege. That said, when I was in the city center, it became clear that many people buy Liege waffles from the walk-up windows of various places (I guess I should call them cafes?).

In Brussels I went to the upstairs dining area at Dandoy. I ordered a Liege waffle with caramel on the side and ice cream. I was initially served a Brussels waffle and promptly alerted the waitress about the mistake. She then brought the right type of waffle with the wrong flavor of ice cream. Sigh. The waffle was very good, but I could tell that it was a pre-made waffle that had been reheated. When I asked about this and was told that they were not getting enough customers to make fresh waffles. Two hours later, the man serving waffles in the downstairs area of Dandoy told me the same thing when I asked for a freshly made Liege waffle. So my evaluation of Dandoy is that it is very good and could possibly be excellent if made fresh.

In Brugge we went to Laurenzino, asked for and received a fresh waffle with ice cream. It was as wonderful as I remembered from two years ago. I also tried another place, near Burg square just a few doors down from the Kathe Wohlfahrt store. It was also excellent; just as good as Laurenzino.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

Sorry to hear about Dandoy, I knew they served reheated waffles downstairs but in my experience, they have always made them fresh to order for the upstairs café, so this is a distressing new development! It is precisely because they were fresh that they gained a reputation for excellence and if they just serve the same stuff as elsewhere they will lose it.

Thanks a lot for reporting back.

6. Re: Best place to go to eat a gaufre (waffle) in Liege?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 30, 2014