We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
789 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

I am coming for 3 days for a football match.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get to and from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

I had a look on the internet for the best way but was struggling.

Can anyone help?

Is there any good pubs/ bars in Hasselt and is there any nice restaurants at good prices?

How easy is it to get to Genk by train?

Many thanks if anyone can answer any of these questions

16 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

1) Answered in Charleroi forum - except that having checked the price for 3), I looked it up for CRL-Hasselt and exact cost is €18.60.

2) I'm sure there are, but don't remember specific places.

3) Genk is only 17 mins from Hasselt by direct train (to Genk, it's the terminus - other direction is to Brussels and terminates in Ghent). Cost €2.80 single.

Hasselt, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

Bars/restaurants in Hasselt:

- Irish Pub: good vibe, rather expensive though

- Right next to it is an Indian restaurant and a Thai restaurant (rather mainstream, European). Both are very good.

- Pocco Matto & Pizza, pasta e basta are 2 very good Italian places.

- Decent French fries on the 'Kolonel Dusart plein'.

- 20-25 euro restaurant: 't Magazijn

Everything is walkable in Hasselt. Have fun. It's a nice city with good vibe. Not that much to see though.

From the station there's the free 'boulevardpendel=BP' that drives around the city. It has several stops on the small ring around Hasselt. The free 'centrumpendel=CP' takes you to the grand plaza and back. I think they ride from 7.00-18.00.

Don't spend too much time in Genk.

You could also take the bus to Genk. There are a lot of busses leaving from Hasselt station. I believe 45 and 36 are the fastest to Genk station. Price will be 2-3 euro single.

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
789 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

Thank you, very good reply.

As it is 4 men here for a football match, we will just be looking for somewhere to get a burger and chips and a lot of pints, where would you suggest?

What is the average cost of a pint in Hasselt?

We were in Malmo, Sweden last month and it was more than 10euro for a beer, hopefully its cheaper than that! Haha

Hasselt, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

For just some fastfood I suggest 'fritz en co' which is on the cross of Badderijstraat and Kolonel Dusartplein. I don't go there very often, but it's a very good place.

French fries + sauce will be 3 or 3,5 euro. Meat-side will be between 1.5 and 4 depending on what you take.

Wether you drink in Hasselt or in Genk, beer will be close to 2 euro. I'm sure the Irish Pub (Fruitmarkt in Hasselt) will have a good vibe, but it's more expensive.

All the bars on the 'Kolonel Dusartplein' are pretty crowded with students, but there's an upscale vibe. Although you'll probably have a blast there, if you just want to have some fun.

Hasselt, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

Oh and, give me your age, exact landing time and hotel where you're staying. I'll give you the necessary details, including price on your transfer to Hasselt.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

You don't need age, landing time or hotel to determine the price of transfer from CRL to Hasselt - it's €18.60 (TEC bus plus train) as already indicated. Whether that covers getting to a specific hotel, I can't tell (may or may not be close to the station) - but then it wasn't asked!

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
789 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

The 4 of us guys are 20-30 years old, we are coming for the Chelsea v Genk match.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express, however I think there is 2 Holiday Inn's quite close to each other in Hasselt. We land at 10:40am.

Any help? Thanks

Hasselt, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

1) Transfer from Charleroi airport to Hasselt:

Take door nr. 2 at Charleroi airport. There you'll see a red-yellow bus stop: BUS A. This bus will take you to train station Charleroi-sud (20 minutes). Price is 3 euro.

From Charleroi-Sud, you can leave at 11.37 or at 12.07.

- 11.37: direction Essen. Get off at Brussel-Sud (south) at 12.25. Then take the train with direction Tongeren at 12.36 and get off at Hasselt (13.52).

- 12.07: direction Antwerpen-centraal and get off at Brussel-Noord (Nord) at 13.02. At 13.18, take the train to Genk and get off at Hasselt at 14.29.

2) Price:

Bus ticket single is 3 euro. Train will cost you 15,60 euro single. That's 18.60 like qaminari already indicated. However, if you're under 26, you can buy a 'go pass 1' at Charleroi-Sud train station. That costs 6.50 and is good for 1 single ride anywhere in Belgium. So you can use it for a Charleroi-Hasselt transfer.

If you're all above 25, you could also buy a 'rail pass' which costs 74 euro and is good for 10 single rides. You're only going to use 8 rides but that's also 124,8 euro, while the rail pass 10 is only 74 euro. Profit once again ;).

The cashier in Charleroi-Sud trainstation will know what this is. Just ask for it. If you buy a rail pass 10, you need to fill in date and destination before boarding the train. Even if there's 3 of you over 25 and 1 under 26, you'd profit from the Rail pass and the youngster could buy the Go Pass 1.

DO NOT let the people at Charleroi airport trick you into buying the special airport-train-bus-ticket. It's too expensive for you.

3)Hotel: You're right, there are 2 HI's right next to each other. Leave Hasselt trainstation through the front gate (take the stairs). Right in front of you the 'boulevardpendel BP bus' will stop. It's free, just get on it. Take the 5th stop, so ring the blue bell (not the red) after the 4th stop. The 4th stop is Kolonel Dusartplein. That's where the bars are. Or you could just tell the bus driver you need to be at the Holiday Inn.

4) Right in front of your hotel, there's a huge party club 'Versuz'. It's pretty upscale, but Thursday night, beer is only 1 euro or something. If you dress accordingly, you could party there, or just go to the Kolonel Dusartplein.

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
789 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

Thank you so much, your information has been amazing!

3 of us are under 26 so we will buy the Go Pass 1, the older one can buy the 15.6 euro ticket.

So all I do is ask at Charelroi Sud for a Go Pass 1? What is the correct way to say it in local language so I can write it down and show the man selling tickets what I want?

Do you pay the 3euro on the bus at Charelroi airport or do you buy a ticket before you get on? Do they take mastercard or will I have to have cash?

Can you help me with directions back from Hasselt to Charelroi Airport? I want to leave Hasselt about 4pm on a Wednesday and where do I buy my Go Pass 1 ticket on way home?

Many thanks

Hasselt, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?

- It's actually 'Charleroi' coming from Charles Le Roi (King Charles) ;).

- You cannot pay inside the bus with a card. Besides that, the bus driver only has a little bit of change. I'm pretty sure you can buy a bus-ticket in the Charleroi-airport. I know there's a ticket vending machine in front of the bus stop, but I don't know if that's for the regular bus, or for the 13 euro bus to Brussels. I suggest you ask the tourist office in Charleroi airport. Just make sure you buy the ticket for the TEC-bus to Charleroi-Sud train station.

- I want to buy 3 Go Pass1 tickets and 1 single ticket to Charleroi/Hasselt.

French (Charleroi): Je voudrais acheter 3 tickets Go Pass 1 et aussi un ticket normal vers Hasselt

Dutch (Hasselt): Ik wil graag 3 keer de Go Pass 1 kopen en ook 1 ticket enkele rit naar Charleroi-Zuid.

- They might suggest the Go Pass 10 for you but I suggest not getting it cause you won't profit much from it.

- What day are you arriving in Charleroi? Cause the Weekend public transport-schedule is different from during the week. You can check your trains on nmbs.be . You can also use it in English.

- Take ENOUGH time for the transfer Hasselt-Charleroi airport.

Train ride is already 2.30, bus ride is 20, you need 60 minutes after getting off the bus in Charleroi airport (if you're not checking in luggage), and there's a chance you might have to wait 30-40 minutes in Charleroi-Sud for the bus to the airport. Keep in mind that some trains might also be delayed because it's very busy between 16.00 and 18.00.

You can check your train schedule on nmbs.be

You can buy your tickets at the Hasselt train station.

Reply to: How do I get from Charleroi Airport to Hasselt?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hasselt