We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Same ol' questions...

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Same ol' questions...

To be honest I dont know anything about Brussels, so I dont know what to see or where to stay, or what is a good location. My husband and I get the chance to spend 2.5 days in Brussels next month at the end of our trip, and I am looking for a place to stay but I really dont know what I am looking for in regards to area.

If anyone can help that would be great. We are a couple in our late 20's, we like siteseeing, walking, and shopping.

Thanks

-Adri

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Same ol' questions...

Hi Adri,

You want to be located somewhere near the Grand Place, The Grand Sablon or the Avenue Louise/Waterloo shopping.

The hotel choices for this area are varied. From the 5 star Conrad, and Amigo hotels to the small but quaint Welcome Hotel (which is located at Place St. Catherine, not far from the Grand Place.)

Other hotel choices are the Jolly Sablon, The Meridien, The Metropole, Carrefour L'Eruope, Novotel, Hilton Brussels to name a few. Any of those will be well located and are all decent to sleep in.

As to what to see. You can not miss the Grand Place. This is a wonderful old style European square with old world architecture. From there you can walk around the area and see the touristy Rue des Bouchers (don't eat there except at Aux Armes de Bruxelles or at Scheltma)

Outside of Central Station (which is near the Grand Place, uphill)

you can pick up a tour bus which will drive you around the city and show you the architecture and the famous Atomium. This is the easiest way to catch all the sites. Try to get one of the hop on hop off tours if you can.

Uphill from Central Station (follow the tourist street signs that are dark green) walk to the Grand Sablon. This is a charming square with a nice refinshed Cathedral and a beautiful small park. This is a safe place to pick somewhere to eat as all the locations are very good. If you like Museums, turn left between the Cathedral and the small Park and you will come upon the Royal Museum of Art which has a very fine collection of old masters up to modern art. If you walk a little further you will see another square and a street to the left. On the right side of this street you will see the Musical Instrument Museum. It might sound boring but it is quite interesting. You rent electronic headphones and as you pass all these ancient instruments, you can hear them being played. At the top of this museum is also a very good lunch spot (you don't have to go to the museum to go to lunch there.) The building itself is an architectural masterpiece that used to be a store and has been preserved.

If you turn right between the Grand Sablon and the park you will see the Palais de Justice at the end of the street (covered in scaffolding) Walk up there and you will be at an observation point where you can get an overview of the city. If you turn left from this location you will come upon the shopping district for the high end stores.

This will be enough to get you started. For additional information you can query sightseeing or tours in the search box and should find other information.

Have fun

2. Re: Same ol' questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 19, 2009