We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to jawadde and any local experts

Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
to jawadde and any local experts

.We will be pubbing for some of that great beer you have out there. i thank you for your response. will we miss the traffic arriving arond 09.00hrs in the morning

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

If you are arriving in Dunquirke at 9 AM you will not hit any traffic problems. If you arriving at 6 AM hoping to hit Brussels at 9 you may hit some traffic as you near Brussels, depending on the time of year. If the holidays haven't started and you are driving on a weekday, yikes.

Why not just go to Brugge? Brugge should be a lot closer than Brussels for you if you are arriving by boat.

Also, every year near the train station in Brugge there is a really good ice sculpture exhibit that will run from the 24th of November until the 14th of January. You can stay at the Scandic hotel for around 48 pounds per night.

There is also a very good Christmas market in their main square, certainly as good as the one in Brussels.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

And don't worry about finding good belgian beers: in every city in Belgium you will find them ! Try the 'Trappist' , there is a lot of different kind of Trappist; try Duvel; try Gueze Lambiek, try De Koninck, try Witbier (Hoegaerden or Brugse witte), try what you want, but don't stick with a normal 'pils' (for.ex. Stella, Maes, Primus, Jupiler, etc, etc, - that's not what you want, but that's what you will get if you only ask for ' a beer ' ) So look in the beer card of the pub you are going !

But being from Antwerp ... I would like to promote my city, because I think it will be more lively in the nighttime. No offence meant to Bruges ! But I think we have more and better cafés (pubs).

But I agree that Bruges is more close to Dunkerque, so you will have more time to spent.

Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

Okay. now we look like we will be staying in Brugge. Thank you for your advise. i have decided it would be best to go to calais and drive up to Brugge, i think the drive would take approx 1.5 hrs if i am wrong please correct me. i will now check out your recomendation for hotel.

cheers guys

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

Hi again Geeza,

If you are going to Brugge it would be good to go to the forum for Brugge through Trip Advisor. You might want to check out the Montanus Hotel and the Hotel Europ, both seem quite reasonable price wise and got pretty good reviews.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

One and a half hour from Calais to Brugge is right.

You could also do the Dover - Dunkerque ferry crossing. Dunkerque - Brugge is only 76 km (1 hour).

Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

Thanks people. I will look into those hotels and i looked at the boat to Dunkerque but the crossing took a lot longer than the Calais boat and we would rather drive that time than be on the boat.

Thanks again.

7. Re: to jawadde and any local experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 18, 2009