We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling options

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling options

Planning to rent a bike and cycle from the center of Brussels to Foret des Soignes were will spend the rest of the day . First ; How possible it is to rent a bike in city center ?

and B; What about the road itself to reach this park ? easy access for cycling ?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Europe
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling options

Have a look at this page:

provelo.org/en/service/brussels/bicycle-hire

They rent out bikes (and are situated at the "correct" side of the city to avoid crossing the centre for your route), but they also list other places that rent bikes.

Also, on the old Google Maps, on PC, if you search a route for bikes, the map will show in different types of green the streets in Brussels according to their accessibility for cycling. (I haven't found this on the new Google Maps yet.) Without really looking for alternatives, my instinct tells me that for your destination the easiest route is through Louizalaan / Avenue Louise, then the parks at the end of that lane. Those parks connect to the Zoniënwoud / Forêt de Soignes.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Avenue Louise
Avenue Louise
284 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling options

I would also go for Provélo, because both the Villo bikes (the yellow ones for which you will see stands all over the city: http://en.villo.be/Rates/Day-or-week-ticket) and Blue Bike points at railway stations (blue-bike.be/en/signing-up-in-a-cycle-point) seem to require the use of a local bank card/ bank account. You can now buy a 1-day Villo card from STIB machines, but presumably not for cash.

In addition, between April and October, Provélo operate a bike rental stand in the Bois de la Cambre (part of the Forêt de Soignes) at weekends: visitbrussels.be/bitc/…move-in-the-city.do

The Forêt de Soignes as a whole is not what I would call a park (if you look at a STIB public transport map, it surrounds the whole S.E. portion of the city), although it does contain several of these, such as the Cambre and Woluwé parks. How easy it is to access by bike depends on where you are starting from and which bit of the forest you want to ride in. You can get to the Bois de la Cambre, which is the closest bit of the forest to the city centre by 94 tram down the Avenue Louise and hire a bike in the park, at weekends; otherwise if you rent from their premises in Ixelles, obviously you have to ride with the traffic on city streets to get wherever you decide to go to.

For the Parc de la Woluwe and parts of the forest along the 44 tram route to Tervuren, there is a dedicated cycle track in the middle of the Avenue de Tervueren/Tervurenlaan, beginning just beyond Square Montgomery, which you can reach (also taking a bike, except during rush hours) by metro line 1 from e.g. Gare centrale. You can also take bikes (again, outside rush hours) on the metro to Hermann Debroux and enter the forest at Rouge Cloître. Unless you stick to the Bois de la Cambre (or other urban parks like the Parc du Cinquantenaire), I would recommend buying a map, it is very easy to get disoriented in the forest.

Edited: 12:56 pm, March 30, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Bois de la Cambre
Bois de la Cambre
596 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Avenue Louise
Avenue Louise
284 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Ixelles
Ixelles
Brussels, Belgium
Parc du Cinquantenaire
Parc du Cinquantenaire
1,992 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling options

Thanks for your useful replies guys , getting a bike from the park makes sense more than cycling from the centre .I prefer not to mess up during traffic in such a busy ( unknown ) city .

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling options

Note that Provélo are only present in the Bois de la Cambre from 12:00 hrs: www.visitbelgium.com/documents/green.pdf

I am sure I have seen them in the past with their bike rack just inside the park entrance on a Sunday, but the address they give now now is Carrefour des Attelages, which is near the lake. From the main park entrance near the Legrand tram stop, you will find the main path (road) divides into 2, the left-hand (Avenue de Flore) and right-hand (Avenue Diane) paths both leading to the Carrefour des Attelages: if you take the right-hand road, it's where you see the Kiosque du Bois de la Cambre (a bandstand, see this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pforret/7050624935/) on your left.

I'll try to test a STIB machine tomorrow to see whether they will sell a Villo day ticket for cash or whether they insist on a bank card.

Mentioned in this post
Bois de la Cambre
Bois de la Cambre
596 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Fort Collins...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling options

Thanks for everyone's replies! We're doing this tomorrow, and biking from Provelo's main shop to Bois de la Cambre and into Foret de Soignes - hopefully we won't get too lost! :)

Mentioned in this post
Bois de la Cambre
Bois de la Cambre
596 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
6. Re: Cycling options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, July 22, 2016