We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

My family of 4 will be in Brussels at the end of September 2014.

I would like to go to Vimy Ridge, I looked at tours but there from Ypers or Arras.

I'm confused. I would be like to go to Ypers then to Vimy yet the cost of tours are a little high because it is the 4 of us. So i looked at trains then cabs but i expect to lose out in some info.

maybe a bus to the areas? or just wing it through the trenches.

I'm thinking if I just my family to Ypers there has to be a tour guide there?

The Brussels Journey - Beer and Chocolate Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
A Zonzo Tour
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Viva Brussels Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Brussels
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

Ieper (Ypres) and Vimy are a fair distance apart in two different countries.

In my opinion Bruxelles-Ieper-Vimy-Bruxelles is just about do-able in one day but:

1) You would need a car and a good navigator,

2) You won't get very long to look at anything - I recently spent a whole day in Ieper and didn't have time to visit any of the cemeteries, even Tyne Cot. If you try, the best order is probably Vimy first and then Ieper, staying on to see the Menin Gate ceremony at 20.00.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

The Canadian National Vimy Memorial site is about 8 km from Arras, in France, and if not hiring a car, your best option might be to take one of the tours from Arras (http://www.westernfronttours.com.au/battles_of_arras.htm - http://www.cheminsdhistoire.com/tours/arras-and-vimy-ridge/) - but then preferably going there, or at least as far as Lille, the night before.

By train from Brussels, it takes between 1h37 and 2h29 to Arras, via Lille - and this taking a high-speed train (TGV or Eurostar) as far as Lille-Europe then walking to Lille-Flandres station for non-high-speed train to Arras.

A triangular train journey Brussels-(Lille)-Arras-(Lille)-Ieper-Brussels is theoretically possible but honestly this is too much for one day. Lille(-Flandres)-Ieper takes 1h12-1h53, with a change in Kortrijk, and Ieper-Brussels, 1h44 direct. If you really think it is worth trying to do both in one day, you would have more flexibility by car - but even then I don't think it is advisable as a day-trip from Brussels: and would suggest staying overnight in Arras, Lille or Ieper.

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

We will be better off to go from Paris & just only do Vimy ridge But wont do Ypers. next I guess. Thank you for the info it was helpful.

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

Vimy Ridge & Ypers in one day I guess isn't gonna happen thank you for you info. I was really hoping I could do the 8 o'clock salute. Vimy is what I want to go to so I will go there from Paris.

5. Re: WW1 from Brussels to Vimy Ridge.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 31, 2015
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now