We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thalys train station

Belleville, IL
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thalys train station

Hi, we will be in Brussels for a week in September and I'm trying to plan day trips. One of them is Paris for a day using the Thalys train. I became interested when I found out the trip is only one and a half hours. We are staying at the Brussels Marriott. How far is it from the hotel to the Gare du Midi train station? What would the taxi fare be? Would a metro/bus system be an easy option. We would need to get there very early in the morning.

Thanks for any help,

Emptynester

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thalys train station

The Marriott is next to the Bourse pre-metro station, from where underground trams run to the Gare du Midi, only 3 stops away. Several trams do this trip, the earliest 55 in that direction (Stillte/Silence), for instance, is at 5.21, see www.stib.irisnet.be/FR/40000Fre/T/40055F.htm. As you won't have any luggage for a day trip I would advise you to take the tram. However, taxi fare would probably be about 10 euros, and there is a taxi rank right by the Bourse (stock exchange), or you can ask the hotel to get you one.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thalys train station

I took the Thalys train to Cologne last year and, being an arch worrier, did a dry run the day before, just to find out how much time it took and that I could get to the platform in good time.

La Rochelle
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thalys train station

I've gone from Gare du Midi to the Marriot in less than 15 minutes in a tram, it's a doddle. You may have a longer wait on a Sunday when the trams are less frequent, but the actual journey is only 5-6 minutes, so if you allow half an hour you'll have (plenty of) time to spare. The Marriott is well located right by the Bourse tram/metro exit, making the tram a very attractive option. I wouldn't bother with a taxi to be honest, I think the taxi drivers are too keen to rip you off (take you via the scenic route and charge you twice as much).

4. Re: Thalys train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 18, 2009