We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

I am looking forward to being in Brussels this weekend and seeing the flower carpet.

I expect that the Grand Place will be a mob scene. Any suggestions for the best day/time/location/method for viewing?

In an earlier post "Brusselsboy" suggested: the best view is from the upper stories of a bar i recommend the Chaloupe d'or"

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

Unfortunately, it is raining in Brussels at the moment and the weather forecast looks dismal for the next four days at least - I suppose we had to pay sometime for our July heatwave.

In addition to the upper floors of cafés like the Chaloupe d'Or and the Roi d'Espagne, the Town Hall will be admitting people to its balcony, for a fee, but if we have a day with enough light I'm going to try the Maison du Roi this year. It means paying the entrance fee for the museum (the one that houses the Manneken Pis' costumes) but I was told by someone that it offers the best view. Without a helicopter, a crane or perhaps a room on an upper floor of the Hotel St. Michel it's hard to get up high enough for the sort of view you see on the postcards!

As for the best time of day, I don't know when the crowds will be there: for the tapis de lavande this year there weren't many people there early in the morning, but on the other hand the shadows were too dark for my liking. Bear in mind also that after the first day, even though they replace flowers, the carpet looks less and less fresh - although if the weather we have now keeps up, that might not be a problem this year.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

Well it wasn't a mob scene at 08.45 this morning, although there was already a small queue for the Town Hall which appeared to me to be still there (+/- 30 people) at 09.15 despite information stating that the balcony would be open from 09.00. As the Maison du Roi doesn't open till 10.00, I took a few photos from the 1st floor of La Brouette, which is next to the Roi d'Espagne and has the advantage of allowing you to see the vertical length of the carpet, rather than the width as from the Chaloupe d'Or (although from that side you get the Town Hall as backdrop). In this photo of a previous tapis, the Roi d'Espagne is the building on the right, La Brouette is just to its left:

http://www.eurobru.com/visag040.htm

I took a few from the 1st floor of the Chaloupe d'Or as well, unfortunately the door to the staircase leading to the 2nd floor, which has a small balcony, was closed although it is possible that they would have allowed me up there if I had asked. However, as they said the croissants weren't due to arrive till 9, I didn't linger and in fact it had started to rain by 9.20.

Of course being the first day, and given the weather, the carpet is looking nice and fresh, I didn't personally care much for the design this year but it is still nice and colourful. It actually seems a lot brighter than it does here http://www.flowercarpet.be/fraccu.htm - and the stars revolve!

I'll be going down again over the next four days, including I hope for the son et lumière one of these evenings.

Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

Thanks for the great advice!

We went around 2:30 on Saturday--pretty crowded. There was not a large crowd on the balcony of La Maison du Roi.

We had never visited this museum so we decided to purchase admission tickets (3 euro) and pay the additional 1.50 euro for balcony access. The museum was a great surprise--we hope to return for a longer visit. We had no idea that the Mannequin Pis was such a big deal and had such an extensive wardrobe!

The carpet was definately worth the trip to town!

4. Re: Flower Carpet: suggestions for viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 13, 2009