We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Hello, I have the potential to stop in Frankfurt or Brussels for 3 days in Dec., and was wondering which city would be better to visit. I love big cities that have culture, good food and history. I have done a decent amount of traveling but have never been to either Germany or Belgium, any insight you could provide would be great?

Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Brussels wins easily on good food and history. Only on culture Frankfurt might have a chance, but it depends on what exactly you are looking for. And in december (before the 24rd) you'll have a christmas market in both cities. The one in Frankfurt ismore authentic, but neither is especially good.

With your specifications, I'd choose Brussels.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Definitely Brussels -I've been several times to Frankfurt and have basically found nothing to see - it is a big flat city with huge streets and quite new - don't forget the whole area has been carpet bombed in 42-45.

Food can be very good in Germany too.

Level Contributor
186 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Frankfurt is boring, I'd go to Brussels and take some day trips from there.

Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Another vote for Brussels (although you are posting on the Brussels forum!). While it's a rather modern city, it has a number of beautiful buildings especially at night. Go there to pig out on the waffles, chocolate and beer, and perhaps take a day trip out to Bruges or Ghent which are just an hour away.

I think Frankfurt does not give you a good feeling for the diversity of Germany, it's very much a modern city which is one of the business capitals of Europe. There are a few interesting elements, the central square is quite nice, and Goethe house I found interesting. However, pretty much the rest of Germany is accessible by high speed train in less than 4 hrs should you want to go to Germany. Just playing devil's advocate!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

I agree with the previous replies. You might want to consider average air delays (people tell me - hearsay - that Frankfurt has air traffic delays), ground transfer ease, and airport amenities. For example, the United gates from EWR used to be the absolutely farthest from immigration! But BRU has a rail station right in the terminal concourse. I haven't been to Frankfurt in 20 years. Germany and Belgium are both excellent destinations, but Germany is much bigger, so you might need more trips there to see the variety of the country.

6. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2015