We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday market at Gare du Midi

KualaLumpur,Malaysia
13 posts
Save Topic
Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Hi! I'm a single female traveller travelling from dusseldorf to Brussels for a day trip(Sunday) in May.I have about 9 hours- arriving at Brussels central station at 9.40 am and departing at 6.30 pm on the same day.

My places of interest are :

1) Grand Place

2) Manneken pis

3) Place du grand sablon (Chocolate shopping) and nearby church and garden

4) Maison Dandoy

5) Mer du Nord at place du St.Catherine

6) Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Is it worth the time to go to the Sunday market? Although I love to visit the local market,not sure if I've enough time.

Does my train ticket from dusseldorf cover for the train from Centraal to Midi station?

If not,is it a long and easy walk? Is there any interesting places to see along the way?

The other alternative is to book the train ticket Dus -Midi station and Central station-Dusseldorf(return).

Need your expert advice and feedback. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,969 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Manneken Pis
Manneken Pis
13,434 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Maison Dandoy - Grand Place
Maison Dandoy - Grand...
265 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Midi
Midi
124 Reviews
Bonn, Germany
Central Station
Central Station
6,964 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Europe
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Train tickets to Brussel are always valid to any of the main stations (including Central and Zuid/Midi). And if your train doesn't stop in the station of your choice you can take a local train there on the same ticket.

The walk between central Brussel and the market is not really interesting, and the area isn't the nicest part of Brussel. Also, what I have seen of the market (when catching a train on Sunday morning) didn't look like anything special.

What you can do for some "off the beaten path" visiting is: arrive at Brussel Zuid/Midi, take a quick look at the market, then walk to the Place du Grand Sablon via the Marolles area (via boulevard du Midi and rue Blaes). The Marolles area is very lively on Sunday morning and great if you are interested in antiques.

Edited: 3:54 am, March 17, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Place du Grand Sablon
Place du Grand Sablon
1,235 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

market is ok mostly crap but quite a lot of mediterranean food and the like and a lot of plants it is quite big and busy so i wouldnt take luggage there if you are planning to leave immediately after

KualaLumpur,Malaysia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

If I arrive at Brussels Midi station to take a quick look at the market,can I use the same ticket to go to Centraal station? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

the market isnt great its quite big but its vastly overpriced

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

I presume you are arriving on the 08:21 ICE from Aachen arr. Bruxelles-Nord 09:27, Bruxelles-Midi, 09:35. If I were a ticket inspector on board whichever train you take from Midi to Central, I would wonder why you continued to Midi in order to backtrack (some time later) to Gare centrale, when you could have changed at Nord and reached Central by 09:38 anyway.. But as far as I know, this isn't expressly forbidden.

If you were to be arriving on Thalys, which doesn't stop (after Liège) until Bruxelles-Midi, you would in any case have to take the train for Central from Midi.

At all events, it makes little sense to "book the train ticket Dus -Midi station and Central station-Dusseldorf(return)" - whatever arrival/departure station you select, in both cases you will have a ticket TO Brussels (any station) and FROM Brussels (any station).

That said, as you want to visit the Sablon I wouldn't take a train to Gare centrale anyway, but the 27 bus, direction Andromède, which starts at Midi and goes through the Marolles (flea market in Place du Jeu de Balles..) and the Sablon (antiques market), stopping right next to the church you want to visit and across from what I assume is the garden (Place du Petit Sablon). From the Sablon, it's an easy downhill walk to the Grand' Place, taking maybe 15 mins. An individual ticket costs €2.10, from the machines located on the orange wall facing the bus stop, or €2.50 from the bus driver.

The only problem is, I'm not sure whether the 27 is displaced from its normal starting point below the railway bridge ("rue couverte" - signposted from inside the station, see http://www.stib.be/irj/go/km/docs/STIB-MIVB/INTERNET/attachments/Plan_quartier/Gare_du_Midi.pdf) on Sundays because of the market. If so, no doubt there will be a sign at the bus stop saying where the Sunday stop is - and it might not be, as they obviously can't move tram 81 etc. which also stop under the bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Aachen
Aachen
Midi
Midi
124 Reviews
Bonn, Germany
Central Station
Central Station
6,964 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Colorado Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Hello! I will be staying in Brussels for about 20 days in October to attend a 3 week French program. I am concerned about some the comments about safety of the town. I will be staying in Brussels North near Place

Saint Lazare and will be commuting to Rue du Trone daily. I have a few questions and would appreciate any help. 1. If I arrive at Brussels Aeroport Sunday morning, would any kiosks be open to purchase tickets for bus fare/metro? 2. I was told that the walking distance is about 30 minutes and would mind doing the commute on foot, but I am concerned if this would be safe. 3. What bus line connect Place Saint Lazare to Rue du Trone?

I am trying to prepare myself to be more comfortable during my stay. Thank you. Mau

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Europe
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

It's perfectly safe to walk. My only concern would be the area north of where you stay, especially at night.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

It really would be a good idea not to attach a new question to a previous one on a totally different subject: all you have to do is click on "Ask a Question" rather than, as you did here "Post your reply"!

1. Nothing to do with Sunday morning, but while STIB has a ticket machine at the airport, next to the stop for the airport bus, you won't be taking this bus to reach Gare du Nord, but the (Belgian Railways) train from below the airport. If the ticket office isn't open (which it would normally be - depending on exactly HOW early in the morning this might be, of course), there are ticket machines. Cost is €8.50.

Upon arrival at Gare du Nord, you can reach Place St. Lazare by taking the "back" exit into Rue d'Aerschott, not the main exit for the metro station and city centre. However, if you visit the Gare du Nord METRO station either before leaving, or later in the day, there is a STIB ticket office here and "GO" machines where you can buy all metro/bus/tram tickets for the city transport system. There are also ticket machines on level 0 where the buses go from.

2. Cannot see any safety issue walking from near Gare du Nord to rue du Trône, along the "Petite Ceinture".

3. None, you would need to take the metro to Trône (lines 2/6: see metro map http://www.stib.be/irj/go/km/docs/STIB-MIVB/INTERNET/attachments/Plan_reseau/140212-plan_CHRONO.pdf) from below Place Rogier - a short walk away under the railway bridge with the coloured lights. Easiest access to the metro at the moment, as Place Rogier is being redeveloped, is probably from inside the arcade next to the Sheraton Hotel - or you would have to cross the road to the pedestrian shopping street Rue Neuve, and there is a metro entrance right on the corner, next to the City 2 shopping centre.

Mentioned in this post
Rue Neuve
Rue Neuve
440 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Colorado Springs...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Thank you!!!!! First time doing this, so I will be sure to go to "Ask a Question" next time. Maura

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday market at Gare du Midi

Gare du Midi market is fun place to go for many reasons - shop, people watch and if you're into photography, it's perfect for that. I would use a small front pack (a back pack carried in front) so your hands are free to take photos and your valuables are safe. I try to go every time I visit Brussels and plan to go tomorrow as I just arrived from Canada on Friday. Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium