We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

Hi, i know this question has probably been brought up a few times, but i jus dont seem to get it. so here we go again.

1) arriving from london to brussels midi (eurastar), which is the best way to go to the grand palace?

2) a day trip and we have another eurostar train to catch in the evening, is it the same way to go back to the train station?

The reason why no.2 was asked, cos i understand that the train tickets (eurostar from uk)include a free ticket to somewhere near grand palace. what about going back to the brussel midi station?

and what signs do i look out for to know which train goes where, are they very clear cut in the brussel midi station?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,296 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

It's Grand PLACE, not Palace.

In any case, your Eurostar ticket allows you a free transfer from Midi to Central (and in reverse for the return journey) by train, you just show your ticket to the train conductor if asked. Central is five minutes walk from Grand Place.

There are several trains an hour between Midi and Central and the journey takes 3 minutes. Ask Station staff for the platform of the next train.

Don't forget you must be back at Brussels Midi at least 30 minutes before departure of your Eurostar to London, in order to check in.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

1) Assuming you mean Grand PLACE (= square) you simply use your Eurostar ticket on any local train going North, which will stop at Gare centrale, about 5 mins walk from the GP. There is a train in that directiion every few minutes, the easiest to identify from the departure board/ monitors/ yellow timetable boards being possibly the ones to the airport.

2) Ditto in reverse, if you are still in that area, as your ticket from Bruxelles-Midi permits you to start on any local train to that station, from another Brussels station, to change to Eurostar (remember you have to get there at least 30 mins before Eurostar departure for check-in formalities). If not, of course the metro goes to Gare du Midi also, as do buses and trams, but as none of those are part of the railway system you would then have to pay €2 for a ticket.

At both stations, you simply consult the departure board etc. to see which trains are going where from which platform, and then go to the appropriate platform and get on the appropriate train. The next train from the platform in question is indicated both at the entrance to the platform and on overhead signs.

Or you can just look up possible trains at the times you want, on http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule - using Bruxelles-Midi to Bruxelles-Central in one direction and obviously the reverse in the other.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

Or it is a 15-20 minute walk straight down Avenue de Stalingrad from Midi station to Grand Place.

I can't remember if it is signposted, but if you have a good map you won't get lost, or just ask one of the locals.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

<arriving from london to brussels midi (eurastar), which is the best way to go to the grand palace?>

Note that it is called Grand-Place not "palace". It is a town square, not a palace. The word "place" means "square" www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm?id=4664&FMT=18

You can take any local Belgian train heading northwards from Brussels Midi to Brussels Central station (first stop - about 3 minutes). Trains heading for the airport are the easiest to identify as they are marked with an aeroplane logo on the departure screens. You can use your Eurostar ticket for this.

<a day trip and we have another eurostar train to catch in the evening, is it the same way to go back to the train station?>

Yes. You simply catch a train heading southwards from Brussels Central to Brussels Midi. Again, you can use your return Eurostar ticket for this short trip.

<The reason why no.2 was asked, cos i understand that the train tickets (eurostar from uk)include a free ticket to somewhere near grand palace. what about going back to the brussel midi station?>

Yes. Eurostar tickets can be used to complete your journey to or from any other station in Brussels when you arrive or leave. So, as I wrote above, you can travel from Brussels Midi to Central when you arrive, and from Central back to Midi when you leave.

Grand-Place is 7 or 8 minutes on foot from Brussels Central station.

<what signs do i look out for to know which train goes where, are they very clear cut in the brussel midi station?>

There are screens and large departure boards listing the destinations and stopping points of the trains. There are trains every 5 minutes or so between Midi and Central, so you can take time to check that the one you plan to take is actually going in the right direction.

Brussels Midi

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://tinyurl.com/o43mrau

Brussels Midi to Brussels Central

www.youtube.com/watch… - Brussels Central at 3:20

Brussels Central

www.youtube.com/watch…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

ah yes, apologies for the error

Am gonna ask another annoying question, when we purchase tickets online from london-brussels, we will be getting the tickets (outbound) from the machine, so when we reach brussels, do we need to get the tickets first for the inbound journey or when we are back from our day trip?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

If you have purchased Eurostar tickets London-Brussels and Brussels-London, from a website requiring collection from a machine in London, you must surely collect BOTH in London. Whatever instruction the website gave (or option you selected) for one must apply to the other.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

awesome! thanks for all your help.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

<Don't forget you must be back at Brussels Midi at least 30 minutes before departure of your Eurostar to London, in order to check in>

For the record, I would advise arriving at Brussels Midi at least 45 minutes before departure of the Eurostar to London. UK passport checks at Midi are now slower and more cumbersome than they used to be, because of the extra measures being taken to deal with the "Lille loophole" problem. I encountered a long and slow-moving queue at Midi on my own trip to London in August..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

Realise i have another question. ok, so im planning to buy the tix lon-brus-lon

shld i get the one brussel or brussel zuid or any belgian station? the main purpose of this trip is to experience walking the grand place thats all. thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eurostar-grand palace, and vice versa

You don't have any option - Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid/Brussels South is where Eurostar terminates in Brussels, and it doesn't give you the option of selecting Bruxelles-central as destination. Nevertheless, as already explained, you can use the ticket to travel to (and Brussels-London ticket, from) Gare centrale. Don't buy ABS ticket which will cost you €8 on top of London-Brussels price, and cover you to anywhere in BELGIUM.

Edited: 9:02 am, September 29, 2013