We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

We have reservations on a BA flight from London to Brussels which is scheduled to arrive around 14:45 and need to be in Aachen in late afternoon/early evening. I'm looking for information or information sources to get from Brussels to Aachen via train. I know there are frequent trains from the airport to 3 train stations but that's the extent of my knowledge! Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Aachen
Aachen
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

As I don't know what day of the week this would be, you can use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en indicating Bruxelles-Nat-Aéroport as departure station and Aachen Hbf as arrival station; but basically you have the choice between changing to high-speed (ICE at Bruxelles-Nord or Thalys at Bruxelles-Midi) trains, which will get you there in less than 2 hrs, or non-high-speed trains which take about 2 1/2, with an extra change in Liège on top of either Bruxelles-Nord or Leuven.

For example, if this is a weekday, a convenient departure might be dep. BRU 16:46, arr. Bruxelles-Midi 17:07, dep. (Thalys) 17:28, arr. 18:36.

You can also use www.b-europe.com/Travel

Mentioned in this post
Aachen
Aachen
Midi
Midi
122 Reviews
Bonn, Germany
Leuven
Leuven
Flemish Brabant Province, Belgium
Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

Thank you...this is very helpful. It is a weekday arrival.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

I forgot to say that on the b-europe site (which is Belgian Railways, international section) it calls the airport station Brussel-Nat-Luchthaven, and also that if you purchase tickets at the airport station - as I would, in case of delays - rather than online, you will pay a €7 "administrative fee" (per total purchase, not per ticket).

Belgian Railways gives the price for the 16:46 departure mentioned, for tomorrow (which would generally be the highest price possible: cheaper fares on Thalys sell out over the 3 months during which they are available for purchase), as €59; or €39 if you catch the same Thalys at Liège-Guillemins instead of Bruxelles-Midi, taking an extra IC train between Bruxelles-Nord and Liège but still departing from BRU at 16:46 and arriving at Aachen at 18:36.

By ICE, cost is €39.40 (e.g. dep. BRU 18:09, arr. Aachen 19:36) and by non-high speed IC/IR trains, €25.30 - invariable: and for non-high-speed trains, the administrative fee for purchase at the station is reduced to €3.50.

Mentioned in this post
Midi
Midi
122 Reviews
Bonn, Germany
Aachen
Aachen
4. Re: Brussels to Aachen by Train from Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 26, 2014