We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Brussels!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Brussels!

I'm traveling to Brussels with my sister and mother and will be there for two nights. We want to avoid touristy areas and things to do, and would rather get to know the real city!

I saw that there are walking tours that show you all the murals and comics painted around the city. Does anyone know where I could find a map for that self-guided walking tour?

Besides that, we just want to explore, have meals at authentic and delicious restaurants, chill and relax in a true Belgian bar, and get immersed in the culture. Any recommendations on where to go/what to do? We will be staying near the Grand Place, which I realize is a bit touristy, and we do not have a car and would prefer to walk everywhere.

Also where can we get delicious Brussels waffles?!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Brussels
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Viva Brussels Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
The Brussels Journey - Beer and Chocolate Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
A Zonzo Tour
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Brussels!

Forget the waffles. They've been sittin in a window covered in flies for hours. Eww. Instead hit up the supermarket and stock up on beers so delicious they dont need refrigeration. Um, as for the real city... hahaha it's really rough. There's a homeless tent city in the park near the bus station. Saw people high on speed picking scabs & selling drugs in the park in the touristy area, also hitting a 2 ft bong in the middle of the city. It's kinda scary at night and this is coming from someone who camped out there for a few days & am not afraid of the streets. May I suggest you dont see the "Real City"? But the graffiti there is the most beautiful I've seen anywhere in the world. Not the stupid Tin Tin crap but the real socio-political statement stuff. Wish I could remember just where I found it, somewhere East of the center in the tunnels (beware, they super smell like piss) Also, there's an awesome skateboard park painted up like an ocean that south of the center on the way to the marsolles market which is really amazing and a must see that's not touristy. They have EVERYTHING! When you start seeing people carrying crazy things like stuffed foxes you know you're close. Bought an old silver prisoners cup for 6E

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Brussels!

1) See visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/walk/344/brussel… - photojpl.com/themes/… - you can also get books and maps from the tourist office in the Grand' Place.

2) Choose for yourself from tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188644-Activiti…

3) The best place for waffles is the upstairs café at Dandoy, in rue C. Buls almost opposite the Amigo Hotel (1 block from the Grand' Place, taking the street to the left of the Town Hall).

Incidentally, I don't know of a park near a bus station (there are bus stations at Gare du Nord and Gare du Midi, neither area is known for parks); the skateboard park referred to is in the Square des Ursulines, next to Notre Dame de la Chapelle, but they repaint it every year so I am not sure whether it still looks like this: flickr.com/photos/visitbrussels/3217304557/ (or this: http://www.on-point.be/photos-sozyone-gonzalez-repainting-brussels-ursulines-skatepark/); and the "Marsolles" (sic) market is presumably the daily flea market in Place du Jeu de Balle off rue Blaes, in the Marolles area of the city. You might pass by there as there's a couple of comic-strip murals in the area.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Brussels!

Great resources, thanks qaminari and RastaPasta! Hopefully we will be able to see that skateboard park painted.

We are actually staying at the Amigo hotel, so that waffles place works out well!

Is the "Marsolles" market open every day and is it walkable from the Grand Place area? We will be in Brussels during the week.

Also, have you heard anything about the Brussels Greeters program? It seems like a pretty good way to get to know the city.

I was also looking into good places to eat-- I would say a medium price range (around 15-35 euros an entree).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Brussels!

There is no "Marsolles" market, the area is called the Marolles. I referred to the DAILY flea market (marché aux puces), in the Place du Jeu de Balle, precisely because it is held every day.

While you could walk to the skate park by following the rue du Chêne uphill from the Mannekin Pis (keeping this on your left and Poechenellekelder on your right), then turning right when you reach the big boulevard, it is quite a walk from there to the Place du Jeu de Balle. However if you wish to, just on the other side (from the skatepark) of the church, Notre Dame de la Chapelle, you will find rue Blaes leading off to the right, which leads to it (and is also served by the 27 bus heading for Gare du Midi).

5. Re: Things to do in Brussels!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 12, 2014