We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Train question please.

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another Train question please.

My husband and I will be arriving at the brussels airport at 7:15am. We want to explore the Grand Place on our way to Bruges. Can we buy a ticket to Bruges and stop in Brussels to explore Grand Place (since we have to switch anyways here) for a few hours then continue on?Or do we have a time limit to finish our journey?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Train question please.

You can't break domestic journeys in Belgium using a "through ticket", i.e. Brussels Airport to Brugge (€19.60). This ticket permits you to change trains where required on the route in question, but you are supposed to take the next available train that you could reasonably catch. So if you are found on the second train 6 hrs after your ticket was inspected on the first one, when there are connecting trains to Brugge at least every 30 mins (barring strikes or technical incidents, of course), you would be held to be travelling without a valid ticket as it would be clear that you didn't just change trains. (On the other hand, they wouldn't quibble if you missed 1 train and caught the next, which could possibly permit someone with hand luggage only to manage a quick peek at the Grand' Place and still catch the next train to Brugge!).

You can either buy 2 tickets, Brussels Airport to Brussels (€7.80) and then Brussels to Brugge (€13.80), or buy a "VIA" ticket (Brussels Airport to Brugge VIA Brussels - €21.60, i.e. the same price as 2 separate tickets). VIA ticket permits you to interrupt your journey in Brussels for as long as you like on the same date, taking any train to Brugge until "end of service" on the day in question (this means that if there are still trains after midnight, as there are between Brussels and Brugge, they are included).

Edited: 10:34 am, June 13, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Train question please.

You're awesome, Thanks!

3. Re: Another Train question please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 15, 2014