We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Brussells - walkable

hong kong
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Brussells - walkable

I plan to spend two day trips from Brussells and have chosen Bruges as a must.

As for the other day, I want to go to a place just by train and then spend the day in the destination without having the trouble of taking further local transport. I read from the forum and cannot decide which is the one that best suites me:

1.Ypres 2.bokrijk

Or any other suggestions?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

Either would be fine with respect to not needing public transport, but they are so different that it is impossible to advise which one would suit you, especially when you give no indication as to your interests! IEPER is a good destination if you are interested in WWI, even without visiting nearby cemeteries and battlefields: however, I wouldn't bother if you have no interest in visiting the "In Flanders Fields" museum (www.inflandersfields.be/en/practical/visit). BOKRIJK is a sort of rustic historical disneyland, with reconstructed farmhouses etc. - not in my opinion especially interesting or even picturesque, but it is entirely a matter of personal taste!

Other places you might consider are ANTWERP - the historical centre is no further from the station (Antwerpen-Centraal) than is the case in Brugge - LEUVEN (see map and guide on http://www.use-it.be/leuven/map/), LIER (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/lier.shtml) and DINANT, where the station is close both to the funicular/Cable car up to the citadel and the boarding point for boat trips on the Meuse (see http://www.planetware.com/map/dinant-map-b-dinant.htm); or outside Belgium, MAASTRICHT (NL).

Places not to choose: Ghent. as Gent St. Pieters station is some way out of the centre and requires a tram ride; Namur as you would have to take a bus up to the citadel.

hong kong
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

After looking up all the places you mentioned, I fall in love with Dinant. However, when I check the website www.b-rail.be for train tickets, there are so many places called Dinant. Which one should I choose?

Moreover, is it too much if we start early in the morning from Brussells to Namur and then from Namur to Dinant? Some say the train journey from Namur to Dinant is very beautiful.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

< there are so many places called Dinant. Which one should I choose? >

Dinant [NMBS/SNCB]

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

Unfortunately while the b-rail site used to permit users to select "trains only" when searching for timetables, when they changed to belgianrail they put all stations and bus, tram, metro etc. stops in a single drop-down menu. This requires people to know that NMBS/SNCB (= Belgian Railways) means train (stations), while TEC, for example, means bus (stops), in Wallonia (and some places in Brussels).

You therefore want to select "Dinant (NMBS/SNCB) station/stop" which is the first possibility offered on belgianrail. Or, for timetables only, you can use this website which is restricted to trains and therefore gives only one choice for Dinant: http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule You can't buy train tickets from that site but there is no need to buy them in advance anyway (you can't book seats), or any price advantage in doing so, and you would be restricted to the date of travel selected, though not to a specific train.

Cost from any Brussels station to Dinant is €12.50 single, €25 return or on Sat/Sun, €13.40 weekend return.

It takes 1h39 on direct trains to Dinant (from Bruxelles-Central, you can also start at Midi, Nord, Schuman and Luxembourg stations) so it's up to you to decide whether you also want to stop in Namur, but if you do then

a) you must either buy separate tickets Brussels-Namur then Namur-Dinant, or else a VIA ticket (Brussels-Dinant VIA Namur), which costs €13.30 and permits you to interrupt your journey in Namur - plus a direct single ticket in the opposite direction, for €12.50; and

b) you did say you wanted to visit places only by walking from the station. So if you stop off in Namur, I presume it would be to look around the area between the station and the rivers Sambre and Meuse (where the shops are), rather than to visit the citadel. While you CAN walk up to it, it's a very long walk from the station and up the hill (since the "télépherique" still shown on certain maps, such as www.planetware.com/map/namur-map-b-namur.htm no longer exists). As the site itself is also very extensive, I wouldn't want to "do" both citadels on the same day if not taking the bus to the one in Namur - and the shuttle from the tourist office only runs June to September, then weekends until some time in November.

hong kong
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

Greatly appreciate your comprehensive answers. They are super useful. Thanks!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
14 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

I would do Ghent, I absolutely fell in love with it.

Yes, the train station is a bit far from the tourist areas, but there is a bus that will take you there in about 10 min, which if I remember correctly is about 2€. Ghent is even more breathtaking than Bruges. I am extremely glad I took the advice from many tripadvisor forumers and decided to visit it.

7. Re: Day trip from Brussells - walkable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 30, 2014