We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Hi guys,

I have five days for these places and would like to gather your opinion on my days split between these places and the means of transport:

Day1-2: Amsterdam. Then evening take train to Brussels. (NS Hispeed from Amsterdam central to Bruxelles Central --- did I choose the stops correctly? and, is there other faster or cheaper trains? really need your advice on this!)

Day 3: Brussels:

Day 4: Brugge (I heard this is a nice place, how do I get there?)

Day 5: Brussels and fly back to UK in the evening.

Thanks so much!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

NShispeed is a (Dutch Railways) website, not a type of train. For Amsterdam-Centraal to Brussels, you have a choice between the high-speed Thalys, direct to Bruxelles-MIDI (1h49, cost depends on how far in advance you book, but for tomorrow, for instance, it would be €79); or NON-high-speed (InterCity - IC) trains changing either in Rotterdam or in Roosendaal+Antwerp (3 to 3 1/2 hrs), where in both cases the last train will stop at Bruxelles-Central and Bruxelles-Midi, and cost is €36, which doesn't vary depending on when or where you buy it.

Although Thalys terminates at Midi, the ticket covers free transfer on any local train to Bruxelles-Central (3 mins) - for example, on trains headed for the airport.

You can reach Brugge in 1 hr on IC trains headed to Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge, which depart from Bruxelles-Nord, Bruxelles-Central and Bruxelles-Midi in that order - these stations are connected by a tunnel through the centre of Brussels. Cost is €13.80

If you would be returning from Brugge directly to Brussels Airport, you have to change in either Ghent or Brussels (1 of the 3 stations mentioned - the airport train starts at Midi and travels through Central and Nord, and the train from Brugge goes the same way, terminating at Nord); cost of a through-ticket is €19.60 - or if you are returning to Brussels (€13.80) and then travelling to the airport the following day, the airport train costs €7.80 (again, from Midi, Central or Nord).

Edited: 4:38 pm, April 05, 2013
sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Thanks!

one more qn, how do I travel between Antwerpen and Brussels? I am considering to do a day trip at Antwerpen before heading to Brussels to stay over. Or, is it better to do Antwerpen, then Brugges then BRussels?

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

If I understand correctly, you want to stop off in Antwerp on the way from Amsterdam to Brussels, whether on Day 2, taking 1 day from Amsterdam, or Day 3, taking 1 day from Brussels.

How you do this depends firstly on what type of train you want to take from Amsterdam. If it is Thalys, you can book this to Antwerp only, when you would continue in the evening by non-high-speed train, or you can do the whole journey by non-high-speed train, changing in Antwerp. IC trains run frequently from Antwerpen-Centraal to Brussels (Nord, Central and Midi), tickets cost €7.10 and the journey is about 40 mins.

You can also continue to Brugge instead of Brussels, which takes 1h20 and costs €14.50 if you were buying a separate ticket. If you buy a ticket Amsterdam-Brugge, this would of course be included and as you would have to change trains in Antwerp anyway, you can also stop off there. It depends really on whether you want to spend 1 night in Brugge and 1 in Brussels (more packing/unpacking), or 2 in Brussels and visit Brugge from there as a day trip. If by any chance Day 4 was a Saturday or Sunday, when there is a special rate for RETURN trips, this would be the cheaper option (€14.80 instead of €27.60 return).

sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Hi!

Thanks! Yes I am thinking of going day 3 to Antwerpen for one day and then take train to Brussels to stay for the night. So am i right to say u suggest taking the Thalys from Amsterdam to Antwerpen then take IC train from ANtwerpen to Brussels? By the way, can I leave my luggage at Antwerpen station? I am staying near BRussels South station.

I will stay in Brussels for 2 nights, so I am thinking of going day 4 to Brugges as a day trip. Then Day 5 in Brussels and take train back to Amsterdam to fly back to UK. It is a Saturday.My flight is at 21.50 at Amsterdam Schipol. What time of IC train do you think I should take? Are the trains always on time?

Thanks! SOrry for the numerous questions!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

You certainly can take Thalys from Amsterdam to Antwerp (specific departure with reserved seat) and IC (any departure on the date in question) from there to Brussels, and there are luggage lockers at Antwerpen-Centraal station. You can also take a combination of IC trains, which will always require a change in Antwerp.

For 21.50 flight from AMS, you need to be there no later than 20:00 hrs if your flight is within Europe, 19:00 hrs if intercontinental, according to schiphol.nl/Travellers/…Checkin.htm

For the earlier time, one possibility on a Saturday is the direct Thalys from Bruxelles-Midi to Schiphol at 15:52, arr. 17:24 (1h32). Taking IC trains, you would need to take the 15:33, with changes at Antwerp and Rotterdam (Fyra), arr. Schiphol 18:50 (3h17).

Otherwise, IC departure at 16:33, with changes in Antwerp and Roosendaal, gets you there for 20:12 if you stay on the final train from Roosendaal to Schiphol, or by 19:50 if you change at Rotterdam to the high-speed Fyra (at IC price) (3h39/3h17).

Trains are not always exactly on time, though I've never had too much problem with delays (more cancellations owing to exceptionally bad weather or the occasional strike!): but of course there is no way of knowing whether there is any risk of that for your date.

sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I just checked the train website and saw a timing at 15.33 by IC from Brussels South Midi and will reach 1917 at Schipol airport. There is also this phrase: The Intercity Den Haag HS-Antwerp-Brussels will not run between Den Haag HS and Rotterdam Centraal. This travel advice does not take into account real-time information about the train service. For the latest updates, plan your journey shortly before departure.

What does this mean? Confused! Thanks!

sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Hi,

Also, if I buy the tickets to Antwerpen and Brussels (for travelling on Day 3) etc when I reach Amsterdam only in Day 1, is it ok in terms of availability and price? In general if we buy tickets 2-3 days in advance will the price be more expensive than if i buy now like one week in advance?

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,531 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

1) I already referred in the 3rd paragraph of #3 to the fact that "Taking IC trains, you would need to take the 15:33, with changes at Antwerp and Rotterdam (Fyra), arr. Schiphol 18:50 (3h17)." So had already recommended the 15:33 departure from Bruxelles-Midi. There may well be other connections that would get you there 27 minutes later, but I don't see the advantage given that they also involve more changes (and not just Roosendaal instead of Rotterdam; so check very carefully). But in any case, I was trying to advise you of trains arriving 3 hrs before 21:50 flight, in case your flight is to a destination outside Europe.

2) As regards the information "The Intercity Den Haag HS-Antwerp-Brussels will not run between Den Haag HS and Rotterdam Centraal (between 10:00 and 18:00)" for one thing, I couldn't tell what you mean by "the train website". There are various train websites, I use www.b-europe.com which is Belgian Railways and which gives no such information! For another, I can't tell what date you are getting this for as you have never indicated specific dates, only Day 1, 2, 3 etc., except that in #4 you revealed that Day 5 is a Saturday.

After a lot of searching (it would really help if people gave full information that did not require other people to do so much work to try to help you!) I found information on the Dutch Railways website concerning work on the line in question on certain Saturdays and Sundays (nshispeed.nl/nl/actuele-reisinformatie/inter…), including Sunday 14 April: but not, for example, Saturday 20 or Sunday 21 April. However, if your flight from AMS is on Saturday next week, which is 20 April, it would seem that you arrive in Amsterdam on Tuesday 16 April and that your trip from Amsterdam to Antwerp - then Brussels - on Day 3 must be on Wednesday 18 April: in which case, you have no reason to be concerned by work on the line on Sunday 14 April (or, indeed, for your return on 20 April)!! If, on the other hand, you are getting this information for your actual date of travel, what it actually says on the Dutch Railways website is to check the website 1 week before travel for any changes to schedule, so I would do that and if you still cannot see impact for trains you wanted to take, ask when you get to Amsterdam (given that the work is in the Netherlands, not Belgium, they are the ones who should know!).

3) I also advised in the first paragraph of #1 that for NON-high-speed (IC) trains, the cost does not vary depending on when you buy the ticket. The only train it could have made any difference for is Thalys (which it seems you won't be taking), and even then buying now for next week means you would already be paying full price. Also as you won't have a fixed reservation, whichever IC departures you purchase tickets for, tickets cannot sell out so there is no issue with availability.

sg
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

Hi,

Thanks for detailed response. Apologies that I did not say which date I am departing etc and not enough details. However, thanks so much! You have been helpful!

10. Re: Amsterdam - Brussels-BRugge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 12, 2014