We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern France to Brussels for one day

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Northern France to Brussels for one day

Hello,

I have two questions. My son (16) and I will be staying in Sedan, France on Easter weekend. Sunday is the day that we would like to make a one-day trip to Brussels. Here in the U.S., there are plenty of things to do and places to eat on Easter. What will it be like in Brussels that day?

Question two. I haven't been able to find direct train service from Sedan to Brussels without going back to Paris. We will have a car at that point. Should we drive all the way into Brussels or find a train station in-between and park/ride? If park/ride, what station do you recommend?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern France to Brussels for one day

1) Museums and plenty of city-centre restaurants are open on Sundays, while shops (except those aimed at tourists) will be closed. Only Easter Monday is a public holiday in Belgium.

2) Train timetable websites don't in fact seem to me to propose going via Paris but via Luxembourg (+ Champagne-Ardenne) or (strangely) Lille, taking between 5 and 7 hours, with between 2 and 6 changes: at least on a Sunday. On the other hand, it would only take 2h20 to drive to Brussels, according to viamichelin, mostly on the E411/N4 motorway. After passing Namur, Wavre and Overijse you would enter Brussels in Auderghem, passing close to park and ride facilities near first Hermann-Debroux and then Delta metro stations ("parkings de transit", identified by a green P on this map: http://www.bruxellesmobilite.irisnet.be/voiture/). I don't know how much parking would cost (I believe these facilities are no longer free, but they might be on Sunday) but for the metro it would cost you €2 each to travel into the city centre (e.g. Gare centrale, for the Grand' Place).

However on a Sunday, I suspect that you might as well take the car into the city centre, and park near the cathedral: parking is generally free on Sundays, although I don't know how easy it would be to find a space.

If you want to stop before then and take a train, I think the best option would be Namur, from where it takes 1h02 to Bruxelles-Central by trains departing at 21 and 51 mins past each hour. On a Sunday you can get a "weekend return" ticket for €9.60 and at the P1 parking it costs €6.19 to park for the day, IF you can present a train ticket proving that you are a train passenger (if not, it costs €15.49) see www.b-parking.be/info/fr/mycarpark/79-namur… showing location, and www.b-parking.be/info/fr/tarifparking… for tariffs.

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern France to Brussels for one day

Thank you for the excellent, detailed suggestions. I appreciate your information and look forward to spending the day in Brussels. We missed the opportunity when we were in Amsterdam and are happy that this trip will allow us the time.

3. Re: Northern France to Brussels for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 08, 2014