We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

Hi all,

I am a first time visitor in Brussels and plan to stay for 3 days. I will make Brussels my base so 1 day to explore Brussels, 2nd day for Brugge and 1 day for Antwerpen. Should I get a train pass? Does Belgium have a country pass like Swiss pass? Is it worth it or should I just buy ticket before I board the train?

Also, what area/location is central, safe to stay for sightseeing and easy to walk around?

Thanks in advance.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

Hi there,

You can check www.nmbs.be for train information. It's the site of the Belgian railroads. You can find prices, discounts, price formulas, time schedules... all you need on there.

I think you should be ok with just purchasing single tickets, except if you plan on visiting special events, then you can mauybe find some combo tickets (event entrance + train ticket price) that will end up cheaper. Also, traveling by train in the weekend is 50% cheaper than during the week (and the weekend starts on Frday night).

I don't know of any unsafe areas in Antwerp or Bruges. Borgerhout, right outside of Antwerp, is often said to be dangerous, but I've never had any problems there and I don't think that's a part you will be visiting, as there really aren't any sights.

As for Brussels, there are some places, but I can't exactly say what they're called. If you stick to the touristic spots, you'll be just fine. Just watch out for pickpockets, like in every city.

Hope this was helpfull!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

Very helpful, many thanks Anakha... I will look up the website.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

You're welcome!

You can also try http://www.b-europe.com/Travel

4. Re: Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp advice please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 18, 2014