We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

We are tree, one adult and two teenagers arriving at Brussels national airport at the 10 of December at 6.00 am and have to be back at the Brussels airport at the 16 of December at 6.30 am.

What is easiest and if possible cheapest way (train or bus) to get to Luxembourg and back to Brussels airport?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

As far as I know, there are no buses from Brussels to Luxembourg, but you can check for yourself on www.eurolines.be - buses leave from outside Gare du Nord, which you can reach by train from Brussels Airport (+/- 20 mins, €7.60).

Even if there was a bus, it would be easier and faster by train, first taking the airport train to Gare du Nord and then the train for Luxembourg (3 hrs). There is no need to book in advance as prices are the same buying on the day, neither is there any need to book - which is useful as it is not possible to say how long it will take for your luggage to be delivered which is what mainly determines how long it takes you to get out of the airport and down to the station below it, or therefore which train you can catch at Bruxelles-Nord. On a Monday, trains to Luxembourg leave that station hourly at 08:42, 09:42 and so on, and you can buy a through ticket from BRU for €40.60 (same price for you and teenagers). See www.b-europe.com/Travel using Brussel Nat Luchthaven as departure station and Luxembourg (Lu) as arrival station. You can purchase a ticket from that website, which would be for a specific date but not a specific departure: your ticket would be valid for any train to Luxembourg on the date given on the ticket.

However, you certainly can't set out from Luxembourg on the day of your flight and hope to get to BRU in time to check in for 06:30 a.m. departure. You will have to come up to Brussels on the Saturday and (as you will need to check in by 04:30 at the latest on Sunday) stay near the airport: the only hotel right at the airport is the Airport Sheraton, there are others in Zaventem and Diegem which have shuttles to the airport (they are listed on Brussels Airport's website).

Normally you could also stay near Gare centrale (you can get off the Luxembourg train here and take the airport train from here) e.g. at the Novotel "Off Grand' Place", Ibis ditto, Madeleine, Moon Hotel.. but as the first train to the airport on a Sunday isn't till 04:54, arr. Bruxelles-Nat.-Aéroport at 05:10, this would not enable you to comply with recommended check-in time. So if you stay here, you would have to take a taxi to the airport, which costs about €50 on the meter: less if you book in advance e.g. with www.autolux.be

Edited: 1:10 pm, October 23, 2012
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

Gaminari, thank you for your detailed information!!

I checked the site you recommend and want to be sure that if I buy a ticket for a specific date it will not limit us to a specific departure time ( at the site they show specific departure hours).

Concerning our way back we are considering to come to Brussels on Saturday and have an hotel near the Central station (we are thinking about the ibis grand place for the three of us). Our plane will depart at 9. am (change of time) so, Do you have any idea if it will be cheaper to take the train to the airport or to book with autolux?

Thanks again!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

For high-speed trains (Thalys, ICE, Eurostar) it is always necessary to book a specific departure but this is not the case for the train to Luxembourg which is a normal InterCity train. While the b-europe website appears to allow you to select specific departures, it is only the date of travel that is binding. This applies both to all domestic Belgian trains (e.g. airport train) and the IC to Luxembourg which is a "traditional international train" for which "Your tickets for a single trip are valid for 1 day from the validity date shown on the ticket and selected by the customer" (www.b-europe.com/Travel/Trains/InterCity) - what they actually mean is "are valid on the date shown on the ticket"! If you wanted to buy a return ticket (but you won't if not taking the train from Brussels to the airport on your return) you would buy 2 single tickets, specifying separate dates for the outward and return journeys.

As already mentioned, the train from the airport (which stops at Gare centrale after Gare du Nord) costs €7.60 each, so €22.80 for 3. You'll need to ask Autolux (or other taxi company) for a quote - that's why I gave you the link.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

Gaminari, again thank you very much for your time and information!

I'm checking the web now for train tickets from Brussels nord to Luxembourg and there is a return-ticket for 41 euro. For the teenagers, I received a suggestion to buy for them the Go Pass 1 to Arlon (6.50 euros) and from there a standard ticket for youth (6.50 euros). What do you think about this option?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

1) I thought you said you wanted to travel to Luxembourg from BRUSSELS AIRPORT (BRU), i.e. Brussel-Nat-Luchthaven/ Bruxelles-Nat-Aéroport in b-europe timetable? As already indicated under #1, "you can buy a through ticket from BRU for €40.60 (same price for you and teenagers)."

If you want to start your journey at Bruxelles-Nord, e.g. after staying in Brussels (trains to Luxembourg start at Midi and travel through Central, Nord, Schuman and Bruxelles-Luxembourg on the way out of the city), you will have to pay another €7.60 each for BRU-Brussels (any station) - EACH, because this is cheaper option than Go-Pass, which does not include Diabolo fee and which would therefore cost €10.90 instead of €6.50: see sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/berekenen.do…

2) Yes you can reduce the price for your teenagers by buying GO-Pass 1 tickets online for Brussels-Arlon (or Brussels Airport - Arlon but in that case it costs €10.90 including Diabolo surcharge) plus single tickets for Arlon-Luxembourg.

However, I don't know where you are getting a €6.50 standard "youth fare" from for the international trip Arlon-Luxembourg, any more than this is possible for Brussels (or Brussels Airport) - Luxembourg. €6.50 is Go-Pass-1 fare which is only available in Belgium. As far as I know (and I don't work for Belgian Railways), there are no youth fares for this trip, and teenagers would pay the same €10 fare as adults. That, at any rate is what is shown on the b-europe site, so I don't know where you find this lower fare, which looks suspiciously like Go-Pass-1 rate (which cannot apply).

Thus total price for youths would therefore be €6.50 + €10 = €16.50, starting from Bruxelles-Nord or €10.90 + €10 = €20.90, starting from BRU (= airport); or for BRU-Bxl then (on another day) Bxl-Arlon-Lux, €7.60 + €6.50 + €10 = €24.10.

Edited: 7:44 am, October 25, 2012
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

Gaminari again thanks a lot , you make things clear to me!

I want to join with you some of my conclusions taking into account that we are traveling from Brussels airport to Luxembourg (10-12) but on our way back we will stay a night at Brussels (15-12) and take the train to the airport next morning (16-12).

For me the adult I will buy a return ticket Brussels nord to Luxembourg for 41 euros and 2 single tickets from the airport to Brussels nord (10-12 and 16-12) for 15.20 euros.

For the teenagers , I will buy for monday 10-12, A GoPass1 ticket from the Airport to Arlon for 11 euros each plus an Arlon to Luxembourg ticket for 6.50 each, total 17.50 each. For the 15-12, I will buy a Luxembourt to Arlon ticket for 6.50 each and Arlon to Brussels Central for 6.50 each, total 13 euros. For the 16-12 a ticket Brussels Central to the Airport for 7.60 each.

What do you think about this? Seems to me the cheapest way.

Again, I really appreciate your time and effort.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,650 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

1) " For me the adult I will buy a return ticket Brussels nord to Luxembourg for 41 euros and 2 single tickets from the airport to Brussels nord (10-12 and 16-12) for 15.20 euros."

Yes, the fare quoted for Brussels-Luxembourg is Benelux return (semi-flex), and then it's €7.60 for BRU-Bxl-Nord and again for Bxl-Central-BRU.

2) "For the teenagers , I will buy for monday 10-12, A GoPass1 ticket from the Airport to Arlon for 11 euros each plus an Arlon to Luxembourg ticket for 6.50 each, total 17.50 each"

Yes, although to be accurate, Go-Pass 1 fare is €10.90, and I have now worked out where you are getting the €6.50 from: you can't buy single tickets for this price, you have to buy RETURN tickets for €13 (as with the €41 return fare from Brussels to Luxembourg, where it only shows €20.50 each way when you select "return journey").

3) "For the 15-12, I will buy a Luxembourg to Arlon ticket for 6.50 each and Arlon to Brussels Central for 6.50 each, total 13 euros. For the 16-12 a ticket Brussels Central to the Airport for 7.60 each."

Yes, except that having already bought return tickets for Arlon-Luxembourg-Arlon, what remains to be purchased for this trip are Go-Pass-1 ticket(s) for Arlon-Brussels @ €6.50 (online only) and then standard singles for Brussels-BRU @ €7.60 (can be purchased at station).

Well worked out! Bon voyage.

Edited: 12:38 pm, October 25, 2012
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

Gaminari, Thank you very much for you advice, time and dedication!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

I think buying a Escapade 3 ticket would still be cheaper. See http://www.b-europe.com/Voyager/Pratique/Mentions%20l%C3%A9gales/Fiches%20Produit?contentpath=%2fProductfiches%2fZonder-reservatie-NRT%2fKlassieke+treinen+-+Biljetten+-+TCV%2fLuxemburgse+verminderingen%2fEscapade

The Escapade 3 ticket costs 79 euro for any station in Belgium to any station in Luxembourg, plus 6 times 4.40 Diabolo fee to the airport, which makes 105.40. This makes about 35.13 for 1 person two ways, so this seems to be cheaper then all the options mentioned above.

Moreover, when Escapade is bought at the ticket desk (as opposed to on the internet), it is valid for 30 (or 60?) days, so no need to buy an extra ticket from Brussels Nord to the airport.

Why does Belgian railways need to make their ticket system so complicated?

10. Re: Brussels national airport to Luxembourg and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 06, 2013