We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

I've gone back via the search facility and have only found mention of Old Holborn. I have also read that tobacco prices are the same throughout Belgium, hopefully not if it's anything like Spain where it was definitely dearer at the "duty free" shop at Ibiza airport than in was in the local tobacconist, where you could also get a 1/2 bottle of Vodka free with two packs. However I digress, I'm hoping to go on Eurostar there and back in a day. Do all the train stop at Midi, and if so is there a potential place/places to buy the allowed amount, within walking distance, as to do the trip in a day I can only be in Brussels abou an hour maybe an hour an a half, depending on returning trains.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

All Eurostar trains terminate at Bruxelles-Midi, yes.

From previous questions on the specific subject of "Golden Virginia" this is (or was, a couple of years ago) sold in tobacco shops/ newsagents at Gare du Midi and inside the Eurostar terminal itself - this would be on the departure level, so after you have checked in for return trip (minimum 30 mins before return train).

Tax-inclusive tobacco prices (in euros at least - Adinkerke shops get around this by pricing in sterling) are the same in all normal retail outlets in Belgium, and you can buy as much as you like. It's not purchase in Belgium that is limited, it's what the UK authorities consider (on entry into the UK) as appropriate to "personal use".

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

Thank you for your reply, I'm only actually going so I can have a go on Eurostar, it will be a bonus to save money on the tobacco. I suppose if the money weren't such a problem to have a look around Brussels, but I'm not really a sight-seeing type of a guy anyway

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

Hope you enjoy the Eurostar! If you have any time to spare at Midi, after hunting for tobacco, there are also lots of chocolate shops...

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

Thanks gaminari, but sadly the doctors have told me to lose weight, I can cope without chocolate but may risk a couple of pints of your lovely Belgian beer.

5. Re: Golden Virginia/Amber Leaf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 13, 2013