We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels from Amsterdam?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels from Amsterdam?

Does anyone know about traveling from Amsterdam to Brussels? Would we be able to do this for a day trip or is it just too much?

Any tips or info would be appreciated!

Hautrage, Belgium
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

Well... it's going to be a long day... With the Thalys train, it's still 2h30 to get to Brussels.

Feasable but you'll have to get eary and go back late if you want to enjoy what Brussels has to offer.

N Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

Its approx a three hour journey from Amsterdam so it would be possible in one day but there really is so much to see it would at least be worth an overnight

John

Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

I have done it in the opposite direction we went from brussells to amsterdam in a day and it was okay if you just want to go to have something to eat and a walk around and say you've been to grand place but it is a LONG day. When we went to Amsterdam for the day we thought we were going to lose it. It's not enough time to see anything so you just wander around and eat. But if all you want is a taste it is definately do able in one day.

Brussels
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

My Tip:

Take the train to Brussels. Spend the night in Brussels. Next morning take the train to Antwerp. Spend most of the day in Antwerp, then continue the journey back to Amsterdam.

Antwerp's interesting...

Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

From Amsterdam to Brussels in one day is a waste of money.You will be on the train for 5 hours in all.Lunch not included you'll have at most a few hours left.Try a formula one hotel for one night.They are very cheap and worth the money

Florence, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

I am also interested in information regarding trains from Brussels to Amsterdam. It is much cheaper for me to fly to Brussels than to Amsterdam...so much so that I would like to know how much a train ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam costs. If if were around 35 or 40 Euro each way, it would still make sense for me to do the plane-then-train plan, and not a direct flight.

Does anyone know how much it costs for a one-way ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam?

Klein, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

My info on Thalys fare is a one-way trip from Bruxelles Midi to Den Haag is USD43 (~EU36). That's full fare, second class for travel 9 Nov 2005 at 20:42 GMT. Amsterdam should be rather comparable.

Florence, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

Ok thanks...I think I'm going to do the direct flight after all...it's a lot less confusing and I won't have to wait around for connections near as long, which maximizes my time in the coffeeshops :) But thanks for the help...I may use that in the future...in fact that is quite likely.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

There's absolutely no need to travel from Amsterdam to Brussels on Thalys. It's more expensive than the regular (direct) intercity, you will need to make reservations ahead and the journey is only a few minutes shorter.

2 hrs 47 min. (IC) vs. 2 hrs 39 min. (Thalys).

Price of a regular ticket (no reservation needed): € 32.60 (web fare) or € 36.10 full fare (ticket booth).

FYI Amsterdam and Den Haag are almost an hour apart, so the price on Thalys will be considerably higher than € 36.00

Klein, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brussels from Amsterdam?

According to Rail Europe's website, travel between Brussels and Amsterdam for 9 Nov., second class, full fare is USD50 or about EU41.73. Travel from Brussels to Amsterdam for 9 Nov., second class, full fare is USD59 or about EU49.22.

Not REALLY a considerable difference, no? That was the intention of my earlier post; as a comparable only. Sorry if I confused anyone.