We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atomium

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Atomium

Will only be in Brussels for a day, is it worth going to the Atomium, and if so can you buy tickets in advance to get to the viewing platform?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atomium

1) I don't know how anyone can say whether you would find it worthwhile to visit the Atomium, without knowing your tastes. If you were only going for the view from the inside, I think you would be disappointed: in my opinion the view of Brussels is better from the rooftop café of the Musical Instrument Museum. For the rest, you'll have to look at the Atomium's website and decide for yourself: http://atomium.be/#/Prices.aspx

2) No you can't buy tickets in advance, unless perhaps you are a group. In any case I have only seen queues to get in when it was re-opened after a long period of closure for renovation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atomium

There was a queue which took about 10 minutes when we were there on a Sunday at the end of June.

I can't say I would recommend a visit for someone with only one day in Brussels, and the view was far better from the roof of the National Basilca, which we had entirely to ourselves.

ny
Level Contributor
520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atomium

Where is the National Basilica? What else is it called?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atomium

www.basilicakoekelberg.be/documents/home.xml…

It's not an ancient building but we thought it was worth a visit for the view.

ny
Level Contributor
520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atomium

Thank you, BT. It is not a walking distance from Grand Place, what is the best way to get there?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atomium

The Koekelberg Basilica is in my opinion the most horrible building in Belgium and probably one of the most horrible buildings in the world, but if you want to go there you can take the metro to Simonis metro station (Elisabeth or Leopold II, it doesn't matter) and either walk through the park to the basilica or continue by tram 19, direction Groot Bijgaarden.

Incidentally the Musical Instrument Museum IS within walking distance of the Grand' Place...

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atomium

I was talking about the view FROM, not the view OF, very different. Not an architectural gem by any means, but I have seen worse.

When we went we were on our way back from Atomium, and got out at the Metro station as indicated in #6.

Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atomium

You could always see both using the open top bus tour, city-sightseeing.com/tours/belgium/brussels.…

they are hop on hop off and will show you all of the major sights on the way around, much easier on the feet than walking... the Atomium is pretty impressive to look AT (especially at dusk), though I haven't been inside yet. The Basillica is grand rather than beautiful, but as mentioned it is on top of a hill and pretty big so the view of the rest of the city is very good. It is however the only art deco style cathedral I have ever seen so it's an unusual and interesting oddity even if not classically beautiful. One of the bus routes goes past both, so you could get off and have a half hour at each (or longer).

HTH

David

www.brussels-blog.co.uk

Edited: 5:58 am, August 16, 2012
Manchester
Level Contributor
554 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atomium

Can someone tell me the best way to get to Koekelberg on public transport? Preferably metro?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atomium

If you want to go by metro you need to get to station Zwarte Vijvers. This is on line 1 or 5 from the central area, direction Gare de l'Est/Erasmus.

www.stib.be will give you route maps and a journey planner.