We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

During my visit to Brussel, i planing to make one day trip to Bruge and Ghent (both the same day). Is it enough to buy train tickets to Brugge and to stop for few hours in Ghent, or i need separate ticket to Ghent and from Ghent to Bruge?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

< Is it enough to buy train tickets to Brugge and to stop for few hours in Ghent >

No.

< or i need separate ticket to Ghent and from Ghent to Bruge? >

Yes.

b-rail.be/nat/…index.php

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

One return ticket Brussels - Bruges is enough. Make sure you return on the same day though then. Weekends have discount tickets.

Enjoy your stay in Belgium!

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

Officially, you're right. I'm not sure what the difference in price would be though.

I personally would buy a Brussels - Bruges return ticket, but I realise it's a bit risky..

Edited: 4:28 pm, October 31, 2011
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

I would spend the whole day in Bruges, enough to see there to keep you busy.

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

I want to see both cities, and do not have enough time, So I should visit both in the same day.

I see what there different opinions about my question, I tried to find info in belgium train site, but havent found any info about that.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
384 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

! It's not allowed to interrupt your train journey in Ghent with a ticket Brussels-Bruges!

You need to buy a one way VIA ticket and tell the selling agent where you want to get off.

This is only possible if you pay the full price. If travelling during the weekend, it's better to buy two weekend tickets in stead of one normal and one VIA ticket.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

"I personally would buy a Brussels - Bruges return ticket, but I realise it's a bit risky.."

Tickets are checked by a ticket inspector several times during the journey and when they are checked, they are timestamped. It will therefore be perfectly obvious if you are on a later train than the one you started on!

I don't understand why anyone would take the risk of a fine (cost of a new ticket plus €12.50) when a VIA ticket costs only a euro more than a standard single - for Brussels-Ghent-Brugge, €14.10 (which is what you would pay if you bought 2 separate tickets, Brussels-Ghent then Ghent-Brugge) instead of €13.10 for Brussels-Brugge. On a weekday, the return price is the cost of 2 singles, so when breaking your journey in one direction, you would pay €14.10 for the outward journey (in fact, two journeys: Brussels-Ghent, Ghent-Brugge) plus €13.10 for the return journey, i.e. €27.20.

On a Saturday or Sunday, breaking your journey means you can't benefit from the weekend weekend rate from Brussels to Brugge (€13.80). BUT, you can buy 2 weekend returns, one for Brussels-Ghent-Brussels for €9 and another for Ghent-Brugge-Ghent for €6.80; total cost €15.80. Of course you then present the right bit of the right ticket for the leg of the journey you are on (and you don't have to get off at Ghent on the way back to do this).

Edited: 7:16 pm, November 02, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

P.S. You say you tried to find the information on the Belgian Railways site but couldn't find it. When you are in the domestic part of the site (travel in Belgium) and click on fares, then "how much for your journey", you will find the fares calculation module sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/input.do - This quite clearly asks you to fill in departure and destination station plus VIA if you intend to break your journey; and when you get the results, the notes at the bottom of the page include the following: "With a standard ticket, you may not interrupt your journey. If you want to do so, you need a VIA-ticket."

As for people having different opinions, the only person who claimed you could travel on the same ticket admitted that this was not "officially" the case!

Belgium
Level Contributor
147 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

Train advice aside, and in spite of your statement that you 'have' to see both cities on the same day, starting and ending in Brussels by train, this is NOT a good idea. Truth is that you'll waste a lot of time travelling around, and these are not cities to visit within a couple of hours each. Make choices and don't go rushing around, seeing almost nothing, just to be able to say you were there.

Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Brussel to Bruges with stop at Ghent

There was good discusion, Thanks everybody for advices.

I will buy Brussels-Ghent-Brussels and another for Ghent-Brugge-Ghent, it is really good idea.

I am budget traveler, so I prefer to visit both in one day, because additional night is additional expenses.