We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

When arriving from Koln on the ICE at the Brussels Midi and catching Thalys to Paris, the Die Bahn website shows only 8 minutes to make this transfer. Is that enough time? Are the platforms next to each other. I tried to make this same transfer in Koln a couple years ago and missed my train, even though there was 10 minutes to change trains, because I didn't know where the platform for Thalys was and the ICE stopped loooong way from the departing Thalys plarform.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

Assuming your train is not late, there should be enough time. The station is not that large and the tracks are nearby. Why not take the Thalys from Koln to Brussels? This way you just walk across the same platform to the Paris train.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,846 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

All Thalys trains from Köln to Brussels follow on to Paris, so it would be easier for you to take a Thalys directly from Köln if you are not sure about the changing time.

In any case, ask the conductor for the track number for the train to Paris so you can go straight to the underpass and to the correct track.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

I travelled from London to Brussels Midi on the 19th Nov 2005 and changed platforms for an onward train to Antwerp. Just go down the stairs to the concourse subway and check the monitor for your departure platform. Then it's only a matter of minutes. Your main problem is if your ICE from Koln arrives on time. Good Luck

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing trains in Brussels Midi; Is there enough time?

I would not say so, 20 minutes is a minimum, but as has been said a direct train from Koln to Paris is a good idea.