We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels christmas market

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels christmas market

Am thinking of visiting a european christmas market this year. Is the Brussels one any good? Is there a particular time that's best to visit?

Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels christmas market

Not in my opinion.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels christmas market

Incidentally there are several responses/trip reports in this forum regarding previous winter/Christmas markets, e.g.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188644-i205-k2447…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188644-i205-k2414… (not actually much on the market but it does tell you when NOT to go!)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k2121…

In short, it probably isn't a good idea to come to Brussels specifically for the Winter Market, but if you do, don't miss the Electrabel Nights sound and light show in the Grand' Place. You can see videos of this on You Tube, in fact you will probably find different christmas markets on there too so you can get an idea what they are like and whether you think you would enjoy them.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
188 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels christmas market

Thanks very much. Actually i've been to Brussels before and it was lovely - would like to go back. Thought the xmas market would be a bonus combined with a day trip to Brugge this time

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels christmas market

if i had only one choice in the area it would be Aachen

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels christmas market

Brussels xmas market is in Europe's top ten according to Francisca Kellet of travelintelligence.com and in top 20 according to The Times.

All a matter of opinion.

I was in Munich last year and thought it was superb but I had been in the hofbrauhaus for a while.

I am going to Brussels this year mostle due to Ryanairs £10 return fare from Edinburgh but also to enjoy the market.

New York City
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels christmas market

when landing in brussels, is it easy to take a train to into the city instead of a taxi?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels christmas market

Of course it is, although I fail to see what that question has to do with the "Christmas" market! The airport train leaves from a station below the airport, takes about 20 minutes into Brussels, and costs €3. It calls at Nord, Central and Midi stations, at each of which you can connect to the Brussels city transit system (STIB) for €1.70 per single trip (€2 when buying tickets from bus or tram drivers) of up to 60 minutes. Midi would be the best for getting to Louise, whihc is the closest metro station to your hotel.

You can save the additional cost of a metro ticket by taking the airport bus (no. 12 during weekdays, 21 evenings and weekends) and get off at Trône, from where it is only 2 stops to Louise on the metro, direction Midi. This costs €3 if you buy the ticket from the machine at the bus stop, €4 if you have to buy it from the driver, but includes free transfer to the city transport system; you just have to punch the ticket in the orange machine again when you change to the metro.

Both bus and train are well-signposted at the airport, buses leave from level 0 (ground level, outside) and trains from -1.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels christmas market

P.S. For anyone actually interested in the market, which started today, the guest country this year is Mongolia.

9. Re: Brussels christmas market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, May 28, 2010