We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please Brussels, Bruge, Ghent...

san diego california
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please Brussels, Bruge, Ghent...

Hello All

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I am planning a trip from the US arriving into Brussels for 4 nights and then back to Brussels for another 2 nights. On arrival I have decided to head straight for Bruges and have booked 2 nights there, this is as far as I have gotten. Please can you advise me if I should spend another night in Bruges or head onto Ghent for 1 night. As far as transportation what order makes most sense.

Brussels
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please Brussels, Bruge, Ghent...

Hi there,

As far as I understand you plan to stay in Brussels 6 days altogether (4+2). Since Brugges and Gent are the same direction from Brussels it does not matter whether you stop in Gent on your way to Brugges or on the way back.

It depends how much you want to see. 2 day for Brugges is enough. It is beautiful, charming place but you can criss-cross the whole old town in a day. One day for Gent is sufficient, too. It leaves you a day you can use for Brussels or Antwerpen.

Other places I like is Namur and Dinant. There is lot of pretty villages/towns in Ardens, south of Belgium.

If you have a spare day, I would highly recommend Aachen in Germany. It is just across the border. It takes approx. 2 hours by train. It is an old town, very clean, with beautiful cathedral (on the UNESCO list) and town square. It was a seat of Charlemagne - Charles the Great - and therefore one of the important cities in Europe in 8th century.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.