We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels highlights in 2 days.

Kiwi's travelling...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels highlights in 2 days.

Family of 4 from New Zealand all in doing a whirlwind tour of Europe in a month strating next week. Want the absolute must do's of the city that can be achived in our time frame.

Thnak you for you for help, to all out there.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

Well you should start from the must sees which are a walk around the old city, of course the Grand Place and the surrounding area, the Royal Museum of fine arts if you are into museums and stuff, a visit to Sablon, home to the antique market and some haute chocolatiers like Marcollini and Wittamer, and a walk around Cinquantenaire and the EU quarter(although it's not that charming), and if you got time the Atomium...I d say most of the city is doable in 2 days.

Kiwi's travelling...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

Again thank you all for your help! To add to the above post, we are travelling with our two sons both of whom are over the age of 18.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

Also if you have time there is the transport museum at the top end of the Cinquantenaire Park which houses loads of classic cars etc. Next door is the military museum. The park is nice also. Not far from there is Montgomery where there is a statue of the general in recognition of the relief of Brusses in WWII and there are a few nice places to eat there.

Probably not essential must do's in Brussels but just to give you some more choice especially if it is raining.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

If the boys want to meet people their age in the evenings have them head over to Place Luxembourg to Ralphs. Most of the stagiares (young interns at the EU) go there for after work drinks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

I would say the three essential things to do are: tour the Cantillon brewery, tour the Cathedral, and see the Grande Place.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

i wouldnt bother with the cinquintenaire there is a park museums of failry avergae standards and efectively a copy of the brandenberg gate in berlin.

the best view is from the road as it emerges from the tunnels .i fyou want to see it got to merode metro and have a drink and look at it.

Grand place is the only must see sight in brussels and it is probably the only one you will remember in a couple of months , mannekin pis is boring tbut close so why not the beer and chocolate museums are a waste of time.

atomium is ok from the outside but i wouldnt bother going in, get a metro or tram to heysel.

my advice would be to try to find a couple of decent bars and restaurants, and relax a bit

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

I would agree that you should not bother going into the Atomium. It's more impressive from the outside. I think there's a lot of potential to do interesting things inside the Atomium which haven't been realized.

I have to say, next to the Atomium is Mini Europe, and I really enjoyed that recently! Then again, I went in the evening when everything was lit up (Atomium also looks best at night) and there was fireworks, but I think that was just for August. But it could be fun all the same.

I cannot agree with another poster's suggestion to visit the EU quarter. I work there and it's mostly disgusting (highways of cars and a distinct lack of shops and facilities); there are some nice squares (e.g. Frere Orban) and Parc du Quincantenaire is nice, but it's not worth going out of your way for.

If you are architecture buffs at all, I would suggest a walk through St. Gilles and Ixelles to check out some of the gorgeous Art Nouveau architecture; there are many excellent places to stop for a drink too.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

^of course, that's Parc du Cinquantenaire. pls excuse.

9. Re: Brussels highlights in 2 days.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 10, 2009