We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium and Germany

Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Belgium and Germany

I'll be traveling around Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp) and Cologne in Germany. My itinerary starts from

Brussels airport »Bruges »Ghent »Antwerp »Cologne »Brussels »Brussels airport

I'm wondering what type of train pass to buy, and please recommend a reliable Train App to check on train fares, timing...

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
6 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium and Germany

I already gave you the link to the official website of the Belgian train company for international train journeys in your other post;

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18863…

The official website for domestic train travel is https://www.belgianrail.be

Whether or not a train pass is worth while, you need to state how many people are in your party, your ages and the exact train journeys you plan to take.

Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium and Germany

We are 3 old ladies, age 56, 59, 68.

I need more details on train fares ... And what's the best options. Your assistance is highly appreciated:-)

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium and Germany

In order to give you advice, you also need to state what train journeys you plan to take. Without that info, I can only point you to the Rail pass;

https:/…rail-pass.aspx

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,463 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgium and Germany

You refer to your "itinerary", but that would imply something referring to specific DAYS/ DATES. Taking the list of destinations, in order, and assuming all trips on separate days (whereas you COULD, for example, be thinking of visiting Ghent on the way between Brugge and Antwerp), it breaks down into the following national and international trips, for which the prices for those within Belgium, using individual tickets, are given below:

1. Brussels Airport to Brugge: 2 adults @ €21.60 = €43.20, 1 senior (over 65) €11.80 (= €6.50+€5.30)

2. Brugge to Ghent: 2 adults @ €6.80 = €13.60; 1 senior €6.50

3. Ghent to Antwerp 2 adults @ €9.90 = 19.80, €1 senior €6.50

4. (Antwerp to Cologne, international trip)

5. (Cologne to Brussels, international trip)

6. Brussels to Brussels airport: 3 x standard tickets €9 = €27 (not worth using Seniors Tickets or, unless spare trips to use up, Rail Pass on this route as flat rate fares attract Diabolo surcharge of €5.30)

Total non-Senior domestic trips (1-3) = 6 trips: €76.60 - therefore, for these trips alone, not worth buying Belgian Railways' 10-trip Rail Pass for €77; but in this case, I would add the 3 - including senior - trips from Brussels to BRU, as it would be cheaper to use the 4 remaining trips on Rail Pass, paying €5.30 x 3 = €15.90 for Diabolo tickets, than to buy 3 standard singles @ €9 (€27) AND I would add the other Senior trip from 1 (BRU-Brugge), again paying just the Diabolo fee.

This would give you a total cost for train trips in Belgium of €77 for Rail Pass plus €21.20 (4 x Diabolo fee) + €13 (2 x senior tickets), total €111.20

For Antwerp to Cologne and Cologne to Brussels, you need to check the timetable to see what your options are as you will have to decide what TYPE of train(s) you want to take, and that - plus, for high-speed trains like ICE and Thalys, how far in advance you can buy tickets (which WE cannot know because you have not said when this trip is to take place) - will determine the price. You already have the link to b-europe site (= Belgian Railways, international trips) in your other question. IF you are preparing this trip several months ahead, the sort of prices you can find are:

4. (Antwerp to Cologne, international trip: 2h27 by IC+ICE, from €19.90, otherwise €34.90/€49.90 Savings Price, €66.60 standard)

5. (Cologne to Brussels, international trip: 1h52 by direct ICE: from €19.90, otherwise €44.90 Savings Price, €59 standard)

While there are multi-country train passes (Eurail Benelux + Germany pass, https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/select-pass/two-country/benelux-germany), you would have to pay a supplement for trains like Thalys (not ICE) on top of the cost of the pass, and it is unlikely that the average travel value per day of train transport would be lower than the cost of individual tickets for the international trips plus the Belgian Railways 10 trip pass. But it is up to YOU to research the price (€319 for 6 days, so €957 for 3 of you - not including any additional reservation fees, passholder fares etc.) AND "do the math", i.e. compare this with the cost of the alternatives.

I know of no "app" that would give you information on train times in Belgium AND between Belgium and Germany, together with all the different fares applicable in both contexts, and you already have the links to websites for Belgian Railways and specific webpage for Rail Pass, leaving only these for specific information on:

- Seniors tickets (Belgium-only: over 65): https:/…seniors-ticket.aspx

- Diabolo fee for trips to/from Brussels Airport (included in standard single fare, payable on top of Rail Pass trips and Seniors tickets): belgianrail.be/en/tickets-railcards/airports…

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Germany
Germany
Europe
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgium and Germany

😁 Thank you very much for your info, you are most helpful 👍👍👍🙏🙏🙏

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Belgium and Germany

We two seniors based ourselves in Antwerp and paid for day returns to Brugge Ghent and Brussels . Bought our tickets from the train office asked for times of trains . Platforms change frequently. We missed one connecting train by 1 min on our way but it was only a 1/2 hr wait .

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Ghent
Ghent
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Reply to: Belgium and Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted