We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

Which Mechelen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

going for three nights with our bikes, any recommended nice places to cycle to and restaurants. Many thanks. Already had weekends in Lier, Leuven, Ghent and Bruges - love Belgium!

6 replies to this topic
Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

There is vast network of cycle paths across Belgium that allow you to put together rides . The network is a large amount of numbered way-points that you join up to make a route. The routes are either on dedicated cycle paths or quiet minor roads.

The network is signposted with numbered signs (known as Knooppunts) indicating the direction to the next way point. Below is a good example showing you are at point 87 - turn left for point 86 and right for point 88

www.flickr.com/photos/slammgrass/4745659169/

Below is a good site for all of the way-points and planning

www.fietsnet.be/routeplanner/default.aspx

below are similar planners

fietsroute.org/Cycling_Planner_Belgium.php

knooppunter.com/nl/…

Restaurants I will leave to others.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

I've previously recommended De Kraanbrug, Persoonshoek 9, Mechelen, which has tables both in several rooms inside and on a barge moored outside on the River Dijle. It's closed on Wednesdays, see http://www.dekraanbrug.com/

Otherwise I can only suggest you look through tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188637-Mechelen…

Between Mechelen and Duffel - where the cloth for Duffel coats came from - if you can possibly get there when it is open, I strongly recommend visiting the Ursulines institute at St. Katelijne Waver. It has a stunning art nouveau glass "winter garden", see …mechelen.be/en/3241/content/7837/index.html - unfortunately however it's only open to individuals on the 3rd Sunday of the month, see http://www.olvwaver.be/individueel - so 18 August (afternoon only), 15 September 2013 - and for a guided tour in Dutch, costing €7.50. It may also be open on Open Monument Day, Sunday 8 September 2013, although as these follow an annual theme, not all heritage places are necessarily open every year. I think there is a strong chance this year, though, as the theme in 2013 - in Flanders at least - is "the best (heritage places that have opened for Open Monument day) from the last 25 years": http://sector.openmonumenten.be/25ste-editie

London, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

Thank you so much for all your info

London, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

Thank you also so much for your info

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
465 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

Hi, the Mechelen tourist office has a handy leaflet with cycle routes (different lenghts) around town, via those "numbered points" mentioned above. It's all suggestions for routes starting and ending in Mechelen. "Bike friendly" cafes and restaurants are indicated on the map, and there are very nice ones in the countryside. In Mechelen itself, try Graspoort, or De Cirque if you like the more trendy style of restaurant. Kraanbrug and all others around Grote Markt are a bit more "clasic".

Level Contributor
53 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants

Hi Veli Have you been in Mechelen? I'm planning a bike tour for April. Can you suggest me an hotel or B&B bike friendly? I'll be also in Ghent and Bruges do you have some suggestions?

Thank a lot

valentina

Reply to: Cycling around Mechelen and restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mechelen
More Mechelen Topics