We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

frankfurt to antwerp train

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, Nz
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
frankfurt to antwerp train

I'll be traveling to Antwerp from Frankfurt on a weekday morning in December. The shortest travel time on the Die Bahn site is almost 5 hours... just want to make sure I'm not missing a faster train I can book elsewhere as I thought it was supposed to be more like 3.5 hours.

Thanks for any help.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: frankfurt to antwerp train

Why did you think it was "supposed to be" more like 3.5 hours? That's what it takes from Frankfurt to BRUSSELS (or maybe from Cologne to Antwerp)... Anyway, the shortest travel time on the Belgian Railways (b-rail) website from Frankfurt(Main)Hbf to Antwerpen Centraal is 4h20 with one change at Bruxelles-Nord, and that time is only possible departing at 08:00 - which of course can also be booked with German Railways. Here's what I get:

dep 05:08 arr. 10:40 time 5:32 changes 2 trains ICE, THA, IC

dep 08:00 arr. 12:20 time 4:20 changes 1 trains ICE, IC

dep 08:45 arr. 13:37 time 4:52 changes 4 trains ICE, THA, IC, R

dep 08:45 arr. 13:40 time 4:55 changes 3 trains ICE, THA, IC

dep 09:00 arr. 14:37 time 5:37 changes 3 trains ICE, IC, R

dep 09:00 arr. 15:19 time 6:19 changes 2 trains ICE, R

dep 10:00 arr. 15:37 time 5:37 changes 3 trains ICE, THA, IC, R

dep 10:00 arr. 15:40 time 5:40 changes 2 trains ICE, THA, IC

dep 10:45 arr. 15:37 time 4:52 changes 4 trains ICE, THA, IC, R

dep 10:45 arr. 15:40 time 4:55 changes 3 trains ICE, THA, IC

There are lots of flights between Frankfurt and Brussels (don't know whether there are any to Antwerp itself) and from Brussels Airport it takes about an hour to Antwerp on the train, changing at Bruxelles-Nord, or 50 minutes on the shuttle bus run (every hour) by SN Brussels airlines, to the Keyserlei, details on flysn.be/nl_be/…shuttle-service.aspx.

Auckland, Nz
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: frankfurt to antwerp train

>>>"Why did you think it was "supposed to be" more like 3.5 hours? That's what it takes from Frankfurt to BRUSSELS (or maybe from Cologne to Antwerp)..."

Because the Rick Steves railmap says 3 hours by train from Frankfurt to Brussels, so I was estimating. So much for our guidebooks. Thanks for the info. but I don't think flying would be worth it.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: frankfurt to antwerp train

Well you also assumed that continuing to Antwerp would add only 30 minutes to the rough time given for travel to Brussels, but while the fastest trains do it in 45/50 minutes, with time to change trains you should count at least an hour and local trains take over an hour anyway. That would have given a total time of around/just over 4 hours, comparable to the "almost 5 hours" actually found.

If you want to see only the fastest trains available between e.g. Brussels and Cologne, look at www.thalys.com, but these trains will certainly also show up in the German and Belgian railways' timetables. In the Belgian one ((http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/), they are designated THA, otherwise the fastest trains are InterCity, IC(E).

It takes only 55 minutes to fly to Brussels from Frankfurt, but of course with check in time plus onward travel to Antwerp, total time could indeed be almost as long as with the train.

4. Re: frankfurt to antwerp train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 17, 2009