We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Hoboken, NJ
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I can not figure out where to stay in Antwerp??

We will be coming direct from Amsterdam and will be spending one night. We want to be centrally located. See a few sights drink a bunch of beers.

Any advice.

John, Hoboken, NJ USA

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

There are several nice hotels in the historical centre of Antwerp (15-20 min. walk or 3 min. by (underground) metro). Not knowing your budget, I'll just list them hereafter:

Antwerp Hilton on Groenplaats - it may be a bit unpersonal but the location is perfect, with a view on the nice Groenplaats square

Rubens Grote Markt on the Market Square, probably the very best location

't Sandt on Het Zand, just off the bank of the river Schelde

Theater Hotel on Arenbergstraat which is in the theatre district just off the nice shopping streets (may be a bit noisy on Saturday and Sunday mornings because of the weekly market)

Prinse on Keizerstraat which is in a quiet street about 10 min. walk from the Market Square

De Witte Lelie on Keizerstraat, very luxury and expensive.

All the a.m. hotels are in the heart of the historical centre and walking distance to museums, cafés, restaurants and fashion boutiques (Antwerp is the centre of fashion in Belgium).

If you'd prefer to stay near the Central Station (which I would not recommend) check out the Astrid Park Plaza, the Hyllit or the Alfa de Keyser Hotel.

You may want to contact the Tourist Office for last minute deals, email toerisme@stad.antwerpen.be

There are also a number of good bed & breakfasts. Two names come to mind right now:

Le Patio and De Granaetappel. Both are on prime location, two steps from Our Lady's Cathedral and the Market Square.

All the a.m. accomodations have a website.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for your reply. You must have been reading my mind.

Tentatively, I have reservations at 't Sandt & Rubens Grote Market.

For central location to see sights and also to enjoy the end-of-day social life and great beers which is the better locale.

Do you feel I can't go wrong with either hotel or is one slightly better.

John

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

You can't go wrong with either hotel in terms of location (think beer). Living near Antwerp myself I haven't stayed in any of these hotels so I can't comment on the quality. Both get very good reviews on Trip Advisor (Rubens Grote Markt scores slightly better).

Hoboken, NJ
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Since you are so knowledegable about Antwerp, where would you recommend my wife and I should go for fun relaxing pubs where we can drink some great beer.

We are not looking for the tourist places we are looking for distinctive Antwerp or Belgium. We are seasoned beer drinkers.

John

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

"Pubs with atmosphere", as my Dutch friends call it: Quinten Matsys (Moriaanstraat), Paters Vaetje (Blauwmoezelstraat), De Zeven Schaken (Braderijstraat, corner Grote Markt), Café Beveren (Vlasmarkt).

IMO the latter has the most locals. It's usually a bit noisy, especially in the wee hours. They still have some sort of an old juke box, and mostly there's a lot of singing involved.

If you want quieter and more stylish cafés, just go in any tavern on Grote Markt or Groenplaats, even in the lobby of the Hilton they have a (small) selection of beer.

There are also a few Irish pubs with a good atmosphere. Try Celtic Ireland on Groenplaats.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

De Pelgrom is another pub you might like, it's in a 15th century cellar. They also serve food but it's usually fairly dark inside, so I prefer it for just a drink. http://www.pelgrom.be/pelgrom/start.jsp

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Last month, my wife & I visited beautiful Antwerp for 2 nights. We stayed at Hotel Julien, a small boutique hotel about 1 block from the Cathedral. I highly recommend it for its quietness, charm, and level of service. I keep meaning to post photos and a review on TA as our stay there was a highlight of our time of Belgium.

Like you, we wanted to see sights, relax and drink good beers. In our two days, we strolled the Meir (shopping street) to Wapper and visited the Rubenshuis, dined and drank at a couple places around the Grote Markt, and wandered the streets near the Schelde River.

For beers, probably our favorite pub was Paters Vaetje, adjacent to the Cathedral. We also stopped at Den Engel and Oud Arsenaal (near Rubenshuis) and stuck our heads into Het Elfde Gebod (also near the Cathedral - amazing interior space, wish we could have stayed). On my own I found De Berenbak (nicest owners ever!), Afspanning Waagstuk, and the bar with the most reknowned beer list, Bierhuis Kulminator. Last but not least, I did go to Quentin Matsys (thanks amboseli), which was a nice pub with loads of history & character and VERY quiet (maybe 3-4 other people) the night I went. If you check out another website,Beer Advocate, I've posted reviews of some of the places listed above...

Enjoy your stay in Antwerp!

Brian

8. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 27, 2009