We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Since I received very good information on my request for directions to Hotel Cammerpoorte I have a few more!

Can I buy tickets at the grounds or should they be purchased in advance?

How would we get from Hotel Cammerpoorte to the football grounds?

Also, we can purchase a Rail pass valid in Amsterdam and Belgium for a five days at $302.00 Canadian for second class. This appears to be cheaper than buying individual tickets. Is second class okay for travel in this region?

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Second class is OK for Belgium and The Netherlands. I doubt, though, that a rail pass will be cheaper than buying individual tickets. There are special weekend fares etc. that you may want to take into account.

Now for the football ... I don't find any information re buying tix on the Royal Antwerp FC website. Maybe you can contact them thru the link at the bottom. http://www.rafc.be/eng/index2.html

To get to the stadium (Antwerpen Sportstadium Bosuil) you can take the tram. It's line no. 5 "Wim Saerensplein - Linkeroever".

The tram leaves at Antwerpen Premetrostation Groenplaats (underground - where you get off to go to Cammerpoorte) and you get off at the stop "Deurne Antwerp Stadium" (about a 15 min. ride) ; after that it's a 10 min. walk to the stadium.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Thanks again amboseli.

I have priced out the individual fares as we will be coming from Amsterdam to Antwerp, Antwerp to Bussells, and then back to Amsterdam. They come out more expensive than the 5 day pass. Plus we will havea couple of days left for other travel.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

302$ Can, that's 210 euro, seems an awful lot to me! At least if that's for only one person.

Amsterdam-Antwerp RETURN costs 56 euro full fare (with two different travel dates).

Antwerp-Brussels return costs 12 euro full fare.

Rail passes are not valid on other means of transportation.

Do check the Dutch website (international section) and make simulations for your days of travel. It's on http://www.ns.nl (also in English).

Do the same for your trips in Belgium on http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Thanks amboseli. You have just saved me some money.

The 302 was for two but it is much cheaper to buy individual tickets direct from the sites you listed. To buy from Canada with individual tickets would cost 197.52E for the round trip. From the sites you listed it will be 135.60E for two people with a return from Brussells to Amsterdam on a Monday.

Should I buy in advance or just at the train stations?

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Absolutely no need to buy in advance. Just go to the ticket counter, either in Amsterdam, Brussels, Antwerp or anywhere else and buy your ticket before boarding your train. That's it.

If you need a return ticket Amsterdam-Antwerp-Amsterdam, you will have to tell the clerk for which dates 'cause you cannot travel on different dates with a 'day return ticket'.

For travel within Belgium, say you want to daytrip to Brugge but get off in Ghent for a few hours. That's possible on one ticket but you'll have to ask for a 'via' ticket (example: Antwerp to Brugge via Gent).

Another tip: no need to buy a (more expensive) Thalys ticket from Amsterdam to Antwerp. The regular intercity train ride takes only a few minutes longer as the Thalys line between Belgium and the Netherlands isn't fully operational yet (re speed).

I'll post if I think of something else.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Me again ...

In case you want to make various trips within Belgium, it might be worth buying a Rail Pass (or a Go Pass if you're under 26). The Rail Pass costs 68 euro and it's good for 10 rides (= 6.80 euro per ride) from point A to point B, all over the country. Worth checking out! It's not a personal card, so you can travel 2or 3 people on the same card as long as you write your destination on the card before boarding the train.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

Thanks for all of your help.

Tickets for the game are available two hours before kick off on game day. They can be purchased previous to game day for a lesser rate.

8. Re: Royal Antwerp FC September 23rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 12, 2009