We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

I will be staying in Antwerp and will have a weekend to see places. What would be the best places to see in Antwerp? Would I be able to visit other places as well close by in that time period? How do I get around to see these places?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

It depends entirely on what places you want to visit in Antwerp (look at tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188636-Activiti… for sights/activities TA members have rated), which in turn depends on your personal interests and priorities (and maybe also the time of year). Depending on what you decide to visit, you can get around the historic centre on foot or take the occasional tram if going further out. I would suggest visiting the tourist office at Antwerpen-Centraal station.

As regards visiting other places, if you are a first-time visitor to Belgium you may want to go to Brugge (http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/bruges.shtml), which is 1h24 from Antwerp by direct hourly trains (18 mins past each hour on weekdays), and not much longer changing in Ghent. If you mean closer than that, Lier (flanderstoday.eu/content/lier-undiscovered-m…) is 15-19 mins from Antwerpen-Centraal with about 5 trains an hour.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

Thank you for your suggestions. It seems like I should be able to see Antwerp and Brugge that weekend in November.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

You can see Brugge in one day, but you can't see Antwerp in one day. Try to eat in different directions from your hotel during the week, because parts of Antwerp are very interesting. Naturally most museums will close when you finish work. But the roof view from the MAS museum is open late, after the museum itself is shut. I haven't been to the Red Star Line museum, which opens next week.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

Drop Brugge and go to Gent. Seriously. I was in Brugge after watching the film (In Bruges), and I was fascinated by it. This year I visited Gent, and it is double as fascinating. Maybe the most beautiful town in Belgium.

6. Re: maximize time in Antwerp and possibly see other places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 05, 2014