We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium October city advice sought

new york
Level Contributor
956 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Topic
Belgium October city advice sought

I am hoping to be in Belgium a week to 8 days in October.

I am eager to go to Brugges, Brussels, Antwerp--for the new museum. I am curious about the best sequence people recommend-by train between- and number of nights in each.

Then, unless I am being too greedy, should we try to add any of the following: Ghent, Liege, Leuven?

Recent visitors and / or Destination Experts- seek your ideas.

We're not combining any other cities in other countries--have already enjoyed Amsterdam and Paris, which many combine with Belgian cities. Coming from NY if that matters.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

Coming from NY I presume you are landing at BRU. You can either stay in Brussels and visit Brugge and Antwerp from there (which would allow you, for any trips at weekends, to benefit from weekend return fares) or you could do a triangular trip: BRU-Antwerp-Brugge-Brussels.

It all depends on whether you would prefer to stay in one place (plenty of hotels near Gare centrale in Brussels), or would like to stay overnight in any of these cities, and how much you mind/don't mind packing, repacking, and humping bags on trains. As you ask how long to stay in these places I presume you want

I don't know why you would want to go to Liège but Leuven is 20-30 mins from Brussels by train, Ghent, 36 mins; Brugge 1 hr (on the same line as Ghent), Antwerp 40-50 mins - but only 34 mins from Brussels Airport.

If you also want to visit Ghent, that is also a possible base, although if staying in the centre you would then have to start and end every train trip with a tram trip, unlike in Brussels, if staying near Gare centrale (which is also near the Grand' Place).

To work out how long you personally would want to spend in each city, you'll need to work out what you want to do there, e.g. using the list of "things to do" in the city concerned, which you will find in the forum for each city, so for Antwerp, for example: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188636-Activiti…

new york
Level Contributor
956 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

many thanks

new york
Level Contributor
956 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

This is so useful so now I am thinking Airport , Antwerp-2 nights, Brussel -1 night, Bruges 2 nights, Brussels to switch to Leuven-1 night, Brussels just to depart. Yikes this seems like a lot of disruption. What am I missing in going between cities by train, flying into and out of Brussels? Two nights Antwerp and two nights Bruges seem about right? One night each Leuvena nd Brussels? Interested include museums and architecture. Will pick hotels by location.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

(After Antwerp-Brussels-Bruges) - "Brussels to switch to Leuven - 1 night, Brussels just to depart"

Coming from Brugge, there is no need to go into Brussels to get to Leuven, there are also direct trains from Brugge to Leuven (heading for Liège and Eupen) which take 1h27.

Furthermore, if staying in Leuven, there is also no need to come into Brussels to get to Brussels Airport, as it has direct trains to the airport, taking 13-14 mins.

Similarly, if by any chance your only reason for "doing" Brussels in between Antwerp and Brugge was that you thought you had to for logistical reasons, there are also direct trains from Antwerp to Brugge, taking 1h24 : and at times when you do have to change, this is in Ghent.

It might help to look at the (very detailed!) railway map: http://www.loughrigg.org/b-rail/full2.gif - if you want less detail, see http://www.ccl.kuleuven.ac.be/~corn/railinfo/nmbs.jpg

For train timetables (without prices), you can use http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule

Edited: 9:25 am, July 22, 2013
new york
Level Contributor
956 posts
1,129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

thank you!

6. Re: Belgium October city advice sought

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 24, 2014