We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

antwerp christmas markets

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
antwerp christmas markets

I've been given the nod that the christmas markets at Antwerp beat german ones hands down, nearer, quieter and cheaper plus a well kept secret! can anyone confirm this?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: antwerp christmas markets

Absolutely not. The big family celebration in Belgium is not Christmas but St. Nicolas on 6 December, and the practice of holding Christmas/winter markets developed only relatively recently, compared to Germany's long-standing tradition. I haven't yet met a Belgian Christmas market that had anything like the Christmassy atmosphere of the German ones, although the one in Brussels came close when Lapland was the guest region.

Quieter, Antwerp certainly is as its Christmas market "only" has 100 stalls (Cologne has 4 different Christmas markets and the Cathedral Market alone has 160 stalls) and nearer, even if it's only 4h11 from London to Cologne by Eurostar + Thalys/ICE. Cheaper is hard to say as you won't find the same things - hardly any tree decorations in Belgium, for example - and the exchange rate between sterling and the euro is the same whether you go to Belgium or Germany.

Why don't you look at videos on YouTube? E.g. for Antwerp, www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U94Ka3Vo2w - www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9h0cJHs-sQ - www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXYzMbqoGys

Antwerp
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: antwerp christmas markets

Sadly enough, I have the same feelings like Qaminari, about Xmass markets in Belgium.

Maybe one exception... the one in Bruges.

And than not because it's such a big one, or a different one... but only because the scenery in Bruges, gives it a bit of a "Oliver Twist" like scenery!

For "the real thing", I definitely go to London, or Köln!

Sheffield, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: antwerp christmas markets

thanks very much for replies. Given me useful info and a couple of other options.

Sue

Shropshire
Level Contributor
524 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: antwerp christmas markets

The best Christmas Markets I've been to are in Valkenburg (Holland): inside the caves.

I've done Dusseldorf, Koln, Cochem, Koblenz, Mainz, Aachen, Antwerp, Ghent, Brussels, Brugges, Luxembourg and Edinburgh over the last few years to name but a few (my wife loves them): Valkenburg wins every time.

<*))))))><

Edited: 10:13 am, October 30, 2012
5. Re: antwerp christmas markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 07, 2013