We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antwerp

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Antwerp

We will arrive at the cruise terminal (Antwerp - Grote Markt 15 - 2000 Antwerp, Belgium) July 22nd. Any suggestions for how to spend the day? Is it difficult to get from the cruise terminal to the main attractions? Are taxis readily available?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antwerp

It will be Sunday.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antwerp

The cruise terminal is not located at Grote Markt 15, as this address would mean your ship was mooring in the main square! However, it is not far from there, next to the castle (Steen): even if your particular ship docks at the farthest end of the quay at the cruise ship terminal, it can't be more than 15 minutes walk to the Grote Markt and the cathedral.

You don't really need a taxi, unless of course you are headed for the station to go elsewhere. However, if you won't have a guidebook by then, I would arm yourself with a map of Antwerp dowloaded from the internet.

Being a Sunday, shops will be closed (except diamond shops in the Jewish quarter near Centraal Station) but museums open. If you look under "More on Antwerp" on the left-hand side of this page, you will find "Things do Do", from which you can see what exactly would appeal to you.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antwerp

< The cruise terminal is not located at Grote Markt 15 >

No ! Grote Markt 15 is the Antwerp Tourism and Congress office http://goo.gl/maps/zRE3

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antwerp

LOL. But it's not far, the tourist office must be the "i" on the printable map on here http://www.whatsinport.com/Antwerp.htm

The cruise terminal is just "below" the word Steen (castle), which is to the right of the word Schelde (in the blue River Scheldt). You will see the Grote Markt just to the right of that, and of course the big building with the cross a little way "above" that is the cathedral.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antwerp

LOL. I thought I copied and pasted the cruise terminal address. Sorry about that. So is the Grote Market closed on Sunday?

6. Re: Antwerp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 10, 2013