We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

Hi all, my wife and I are planning on traveling to Antwerp in October. Our airline has one flight out of Brussels and that's at 9:45 in the morning. We're wondering, having never been to Antwerp, if it's going to be easy for us to get to Brussels airport in the morning, still allowing about an hour and a half before boarding. I believe there's a shuttle bus that goes straight to the airport. What about a taxi? I know that would be expensive, but convenient? Our concern is just not being stressed trying to get from Antwerp to Brussels airport for a morning flight. If so, we'd consider just heading down to Brussels for the evening and waking up already there. This is just more of an opinion question, whether it's relatively easy to get to the airport, hassle-free, from Antwerp in the morning. Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

An hour and a half before boarding is not enough!! BRU recommends 3 hrs before flights to the U.S. and 2 hrs for all other flights - and believe me, unless by any chance you are travelling first or business class, you will need this. It can take 45 minutes just to walk from check-in to the furthest gates and that is without queues for security control (2 separate sets, for flights to the U.S.).

The Airport Express Bus starts at 04:00 hrs from near Antwerpen Centraal station, costs €10 and takes 45 mins, so if you are staying anywhere convenient for it, this would probably be the most practical option: www.airportexpress.be/page… - you would normally have to take the one at 06:00 to get there in time for your flight, if this is to the U.S..

Alternatively, the most certain option involving the least hassle would be to stay at the Airport Sheraton the night before, and then you can just cross the road to check in. A taxi all the way from Antwerp might also be convenient, but I guess it would cost +/- €100 and there is still the worry that it won't turn up /in time.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

Very good point. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess an hour and a half was an absolute minimum...but yes, it would be to the US so we'd need to get there pretty early, at minimum 7:45 (2 hours before), 6:45 would be preferable. If the shuttle starts at 4am, that should be plenty of time. Thanks!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

De Decker-Van Riet bus leaves only hourly (stopping also at the Crowne Plaza on the Ring Road. An Antwerp taxi just to De Keyserlei (the street where the bus stops) can be under ten Euros. I've taken it in both directions, but once-an-hour can be a problem. When my wife and I are in Business Class (Continental has a sale on Business Class most summers), we allow 2 hours at the airport. But I agree that's not enough for coach. The check-in lines alone are very long.

Traffic on business days can be a problem, even if you have a car. And it's tricky to fill the tank before you return a rental - the airport gas station requires a big u-turn at the airport entrance. And as an American, you may not have a card suitable for an unattended gas station. Last time, we bought gas at the expressway rest stop, and the gas gauge held up all the way. Wish I had a better answer for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

You could also get the train.

From Antwerpen Centraal on weekdays, there are departures at 04:18, 05:17 and 05:35, getting to the airport at 05:39, 06:24 and 06:39 respectively.

The 04:18 departure requires a change at Vilvoorde for a bus to the airport. The other departures require a change in Brussels.

Edited: 3:21 am, August 24, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

Like PaulDuncan, I would also suggest you take the early train and stay in Antwerp for a nice evening.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

Unless you would be staying e.g. next to Berchem station (or going up to Brussels the night before but staying near Gare centrale rather than out at the airport), I really don't know why anyone would recommend taking the train rather than the Antwerp Express bus. The 05:35 train gets to the airport at 06:39 (= 1h04 mins), and requires a change in Brussels (Bruxelles-Nord); whereas the 06:00 bus gets there at 06:45 (= 45 mins) and this is direct!

7. Re: Early flight out of Brussels; easy to get there from Antwerp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 12, 2012