We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice needed

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
hotel advice needed

Hello,

I'm looking for a 4 star hotel in Antwerp for a one night stay, near the Central Station and near the Meir. We'll be arriving by car. My mother is disabled and can't walk very far, main purpose of our visit is to go to the Zoo (where we'll book a wheelchair for the day). We'd like to go to the Meir and Vogeltjesmarkt / Vogelenmarkt as well.

So far I have found Sir Plantin Hotel, Leonardo Hotel, Astoria, Leopold Hotel and the Radisson Blu Astrid. These hotels are all quite modern looking and we are more the boutique type, hotels like you find in Bruges.

So, question is: does anyone know of a cozy 4 star boutique hotel in the area that I described? Or perhaps a good b&b?

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel advice needed

Hotel Julien, Matelote and De Witte Lelie are more boutique style hotels but they are all in the old town. The hotels you mentioned are all good and perfectly located for the things you want to do.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel advice needed

Bedankt! Blijkbaar zal ik een keuze moeten maken: locatie of hotelstijl :)

Groeten

Sabrina

Antwerp, Belgium
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel advice needed

You should check out the reviews here in the hotel section but I would look at the Hotel Julien.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
32 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel advice needed

Park Inn by Radisson Antwerpen is a very good hotel, next to the zoo. it's not really a boutiquehotel but is not very expensive. The Hyllit hotel is also very good because it is only 500 metres away from the zoo and the Central Station. I think that a lot of the boutique hotels in Antwerp don't have an elevator, and maybe that will be a problem for your mother.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel advice needed

Dank je Nathalie :)

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel advice needed

Sabrina, if you haven't already made your plans, I would note that Meir runs almost to the old town and not so near Centraal Station. The most effortless hotel for a wheelchair is the least "boutique", the Hilton. But it's very close to Meir (which I consider very ordinary shopping.)

I wonder if your mother wants to do higher-end shopping, like the fashion designers both near the Hilton and in the South (Zuid neighborhood.) Very close to the Hilton are the boutique food and leather shops of the pedestrian streets like Korte Gasthuisstraat and Lombardienvest. This is a unique shopping area, while Meir is more chain stores and teenager shops. I think there may be some fashion boutiques near the Rubens House museum, a short way off Meir.

Although I haven't stayed at Radisson Blu, it appears to me to have no virtues other than modern elevators and proximity to Centraal Station. Like many European cities, the station area is one of Antwerp's least attractive, although Meir ends a few blocks away.

I haven't stayed at Hotel t’Sandt, Zand 17, but made a personal visit to check it out, and I liked it. They have their own parking. Many pharmaceutical company employees stay there on business travel, but it is not as well located for you. Hotel Julien's manager warmly insisted on giving me a personal tour (haven't stayed there), and I found it less pretentious than Witte Lilie. I think they don't have their own parking, and suggest you use the multi-tier Meir Parking garage. That may be too far for a wheelchair. When I tried to visit Maison Delaneau last Septemember, they were so chic that the lobby is locked all afternoon and unattended! Guest have a code for the keypad, I suppose.

Edited: 3:26 pm, June 24, 2011
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel advice needed

Wow, thanks for the info and the trouble you took to visit some of those hotels! She's not in a wheelchair though, she can walk, just not very far or long, and she can't stand too long either, hence the wheelchair for our Zoo visit.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

8. Re: hotel advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 26, 2012