We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

KIC
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
126 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

I am coming to Antwerp on 28 November for the afternoon, but am confused about how long it will take by train.

Using Eurostar's website I found connecting trains from Brussels- Midi to Antwerp-Berchem, but there are very long connection times at Brussels (up to 1.5 hours), which means 4 hour total journey times. But, looking at Belgian timetables from Brussels to Antwerp elsewhere on the web, there appear to be more trains from Brussels to Antwerp than Eurostar advertise, resulting in shorter connection times.

I need to be in Antwerp about 1.30pm, leaving around 5.00 pm. Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding the quickest route? And if I can't buy through tickets in the UK, will I be OK turning up in Brussels and buying them on the spot? Thanks!!!

If I can't find what I need I'll probably end up flying which I really don't want to do...

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

Tickets can be bought on the spot at the ticket shop which is in the main hall in Bruxelles Midi (Brussel Zuid).

To get to Antwerp:

Depending from where in the city you have to be, you either get off at Antwerpen-Berchem (suburb) or Antwerpen-Centraal (city centre). Not all the trains coming from Brussels go as far as Antwerpen-Centraal but they all stop at least in Antwerpen-Berchem. From there you can catch another train to Antwerpen-Centraal which is just one stop further.

Presuming you need to be in Antwerpen city centre at 1.30 pm on a Wednesday, there are following connections:

dep. Brussel-Zuid 12:35 - arr. Antwerpen-Centraal 13:22 final destination Antwerpen-Centraal

dep. Brussel-Zuid 12:40 - arr. Antwerpen-Centraal 13:30 final destination Amsterdam C.S.

For the return:

dep. Antwerpen-Centraal 16:56 - arr. Brussel-Zuid 17:54 final destination Brussel-Zuid

dep. Antwerpen-Centraal 17:16 - arr. Brussel-Zuid 18:06 final destination Charleroi-Sud

You can check the timetables on http://hari.b-holding.be

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

Forgot to mention that all the above are DIRECT connections - no changes involved.

KIC
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
126 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

Thank you very much - exactly the info I needed. Much appreciated! One supplementary question... any idea how much the tickets cost so I can estimate how many Euros to bring? thanks again.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

A return ticket Brussels-Antwerp costs 12,20 euro.

London, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

presume, you are talking about taking the london-brussels eurostar then carrying on to Antwerp?

Your ticket should include a train ticket in either direction(to and from the Eurostar station) to any Belgian station. so when you get off the eurostar in Brussels simply just hop on any train going to Antwerp and show your Eurostar ticket to the controller. And same when you are going back to the Eurostar station. No need to get a separate train ticket! but to verify this here's the Eurostar number: 01233 617 575.

KIC
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
126 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

I've checked the Eurostar website and you can definitely travel on anywhere to Belgium for free. Great tip - thankyou cicamica.

London, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

Antwerp is a lovely city, have a nice time!

8. Re: Travelling from London to Antwerp by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, September 13, 2009