We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

I will travelling with my wife to Brussels for 4 day stay (travelling from USA)

We were wondering where would it be better to stay - City or Airport as we would be travelling with luggage.

Thanks

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

< We were wondering where would it be better to stay - City or Airport >

City, without question.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

If you stay near the airport, you will have 4 days of taking the train backward and forward to/from the city centre (20 mins, €7.80 each per trip!), plus presumably hotel shuttle to get to the airport station, unless staying at the Airport Sheraton.

If you stay in the city centre, you only have to do that once (each way). Closest hotel to Gare centrale is the Méridien, right opposite the main exit. Depending on budget you also have, within 2-10 mins walk of the station, the Novotel Off Grand' Place, Ibis ditto, Le Dixseptième, Best Western Premium Carrefour de l'Europe, Sandton Pillows, Centrale, NH Arenberg Grand' Place, Scandic Grand' Place, Aris Centre....

If you were prepared to spend the €31.20 per day that 2 x 2 airport train fares would cost you, to cope with the luggage you might just as well take a taxi into town, costing about €50 on the way in, slightly less on the way back,

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

Thanks for your reply. I am looking at 3 hotels:

1. Stanhope Hotel

Rue Du Commerce 9 Upper Town Brussels

2. Aris Grand Place Hotel Brussels

Rue du Marché aux Herbes 78-80 Ilôt Sacré Brussels

3. NH Hotel du Grand Sablon

Rue Bodenbroek 2/4 Sablon Brussels

Which one of these 3 are near to Gare centrale. I am not able to figure how to get these hotels from the airport.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

Aris Grand' Place, which is in rue Marché aux Herbes. As already mentioned, there is a train from the airport to Gare centrale., which you can see on the map on aris-grand-place.hotel-rez.com/index2.html… - the one on the left ("Gare de Bruxelles-central") is the railway station and the one on the right (Gare centrale), a metro station.

Edited: 11:25 am, February 21, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

qaminari - just a followup question. I am getting a good deal at Sofitel in Place Jourdan. How is the access from this hotel to Gare de Bruxelles - Midi (for trains to Amsterdam and Cologne).

Do they have good eating joints there?

Thanks

Srivats

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

Place Jourdan has no direct access to Gare du Midi. You would have to take the metro to Arts-Loi and change there for Schuman, which is about 10 mins walk from there - and I should warn you that the metro station is in the throes of construction work.

Personally I would prefer to take the 27 bus from its starting point at Gare du Midi (in "rue couverte", under the railway bridge) to a stop on rue Belliard, outside the Committee of the Regions: the stop is before the Belliard entrance to Parc Leopold, you would walk downhill (rue Belliard is a bit of an urban motorway) and turn right at the corner to reach your hotel via Ch. d'Etterbeek, some way beyond the top of the location map on Sofitel's website: http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-5282-sofitel-brussels-europe/index.shtml). In the opposite direction, to get to Gare du Midi you would walk up rue Froissart towards Schuman and after crossing rue Belliard, take the street on the left with Exki on the corner, the bus stop is just behind the EU Council building.

Place Jourdan has plenty of cafés and restaurants, and the Maison Antoine frites stand: it is next-door to the European Commission's conference centre so plenty of EU visitors at lunch-time. There are plenty more near Schuman, on and off rue Archimède near the Berlaymont building.

Edited: 6:13 pm, March 14, 2013
7. Re: Brussels - Where to stay (Airport or City)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 16, 2014