We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Belgium

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Belgium

My starting point for Belgium is Brussels. I plan to cover the following as well:

1. Brussels

2. Antwerp

3. Ghent

4. Bruges

How many days should I stay on each? Day trips? My main interest is sight-seeing, looking at architecture, and living and experiencing Belgium in the eyes of a local, as much as possible. For Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges, is it better for me to stay in either one of these places as a "base" and then just go around?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Belgium

There's no "better", just what you prefer. If you want to avoid constant unpacking and repacking, you can stay in Brussels near Gare centrale (which is also near the Grand' Place) and visit all of these by train from there: Ghent just over 30 mins, Brugge 1 hr (on the same railway line to the coast), Antwerp about 40 mins.

If you want to stay in one of them, Brugge is the quaintest and Ghent the most central (halfway between Brussels and Brugge and with a separate line to Antwerp) BUT its station is some way out of the centre so you would be taking the tram all the time.

To decide on how much time you need in each place, just look up the list of things to do (on the left-hand side of the page in the forum for each of these cities), or the equivalent in any guide book/internet site. When you know exactly what you want to do there, you will have a better idea of how much time that will take you.

It might also make a difference whether you are flying into one place (BRU?) and leaving by train to another (Paris? Amsterdam?), or vice versa, or whether you want/need to return to the same place.

Edited: 2:31 pm, January 18, 2013
2. Re: 1 week in Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 20, 2014