We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SF, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

My family of 4 will be traveling in early August from The Hague to Paris. I was about to buy tickets on Thalys.com from Rotterdam to Paris, thinking we would just buy tickets from The Hague to Rotterdam on the day of travel. But then, I checked loco2.com, which allowed me to try to buy a ticket from The Hague to Paris (thalys did not give me this option) and the ticket they cited is an intercity train from Den Haag HS to Brussels, and then Thalys Brussels to Paris. Which route is better? Or is there a better way to buy these tickets? I want to do it soon, before the cheaper fares sell out. Thanks for any advice!

SF, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

Sorry to add to my post, but when I went to hshispeed.nl, it allows me to buy tickets direct from Den Haag to Paris, via Rotterdam, but only allows a 5 minute layover in Rotterdam. This website also lists the tickets for the whole way for slightly less money than the thalys website for Rotterdam-Paris only. Given that we are traveling with kids, this feels too quick for comfort. The website says I can call them on an international number to change this, for a fee, but it all feels a bit complicated. If I go ahead a buy these tickets, would they let us take an earlier train from Den Haag to Rotterdam using these tickets with a later time printed on them?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

Best is your original approach. Thalys Rotterdam-Paris and then single rides to Paris, and yes this can be a combined ticket and you can take an earlier train to Rotterdam. The IC train to Brussels gives maybe some price advantage but a speed DISadvantage (45 mins slower) and the transfer times they use are unrealistic, meaning you have to take an earlier train (allowed for that part) and wait quite long in Brussels South.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

There would be no problem buying on NSHispeed all the way from Den Haag. Just make sure that you buy the ticket so you pick up the Thalys in Rotterdam. You can only book up to the 12th August at the moment. Are your travel dates before then? If you are travelling at the weekend Thalys have a special €59 Comfort 1 fare.

You can get Comfort 2 from Den Haag to Paris for only €33 so snap them up. NS always show the shortest connection times but as Erik said already you can take an earlier train from Den Haag to Rotterdam. Dutch IC trains have no reservations possible.

Western Cape, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

Please advise the costs by train from Den Haag to Paris for a group of 21 people

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

@2014hockey, that is the same as asking for flight prices, which also fluctuate.

It completely depends on your date and time, and how far in advance you're able to book. See https://www.nsinternational.nl/en

and read the info here (though it mentions Amsterdam instead of The Hague, the info about the Thalys is still what you need): seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-… > don't forget to click the 'more information about Thalys' link.

Edited: 6:23 am, July 09, 2014
6. Re: How should we travel from The Hague to Paris by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about The Hague