We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Topic
In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

Just wanted to share the VERY BITTER experience we had in the Scheveningen Beach Restaurant named BRASSERIE PALACE (www.brasseriepalace.nl). My 21 months old baby suddenly threw up on the restaurant sofa that we were seated. To our surprise this person in the restaurant, the manager (as he claimed himself) came up and behaved very rudely with us. After charging us a huge amount as cleaning charges of the sofa, we received such rude behavior and non-cooperation from them that we had to leave the place with our sick and crying baby. The restaurant manager (as he claimed himself) was rude enough to even tell us that since you did not clean the sofa but became busy with your sick baby so you have to pay us for cleaning charges.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

Sorry to hear about your experience, that is very rude indeed. Most restaurants will simply come help you clean up if something like that happens. Even if you break a glass or a vase or whatever by accident, or spill red wine over a carpet, they will usually just say it's no problem and clean it up at their own cost.

Did you actually pay money for the cleaning charges? I'd ask them for the bill first, and tell them you'll pay after your travel insurance decided whether they see it as your 'fault' or the restaurant's own risk.

Hope your baby feels better soon.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

(Or your "WA verzekering" in case you live in The Hague)

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

I live very nearby. Now I know where NEVER to go.

I would complain to the female colleague of that man, sonja@brasseriepalace.nl .

Good luck and with your child.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
863 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

I hope your baby is feeling better:)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

they sell scotchguard in the NL?..geez

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

Yeah we actually did pay on spot for the cleaning charges and we have the receipt of the same.... More insulting to us were the words of this guy....

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

Thanks... Yeah if you cud reply to the female colleague on my behalf in Dutch it wud be great... I am also planning to write to her in English( as I don't know Dutch). The incident happened on 21st July around 5:00 to 5:30 pm...

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

Even in a country where customer service is very poor, that is appalling ! Any update on this ?

In general I would avoid any restaurants on Scheveningen Beach, as they are bad for food and service, even by local standards.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

I have been there, despite saying I never will but it was very quiet inside and I hate noise and crowds.

Food expensive but OK. But when the bill came it contained several items of another customer.

I made a fuss and it was corrected but (typically Dutch) no apologies. I gave no tip of course.

No sense to complain about that other incident. They had no idea what I was talking about and no interest,.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: In-human behavior showed to a baby at Brasserie Palace

"No sense to complain about that other incident. They had no idea what I was talking about and no interest,."

I'm sure they would have been interested if you had puked over their sofa. ;-)

Makes you wonder about that bill... mistake, or on purpose? Half the customers probably don't even check their bill before paying. They can always try.....

Edited: 11:08 am, August 07, 2013