We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Luggage

Hi, I would like to catch a train from Amsterdam Airport to Den Haag. I would like to buy a ticket online. The website states "Hand luggage" as something a passage wheels on by themselves. Does this mean a suitcase weighing 23kg? I will be arriving into Den Haag by 5pm on a Sunday, are there taxis at the train stations to help me get to my hotel?

Thanks

J Scales

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,559 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage

Hi there,

Never had problems carrying suitcases in trains. Our record, admittedly for shorter distance, has been 90 kg for 2 persons. Sometimes you need to stay near the doors to guard it, esp. with doubledeck trains, but there are small foldable chairs too there.

Yes, all bigger train stations have taxi ranks.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage

Thanks for the info! So do you check in the luggage like at an airport or just wheel your suitcase on to the train yourself?

Oregon
Level Contributor
590 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage

You're on your own. No need to check in etc., since this isn't a Eurostar-type train and you'll not even likely have a reserved seat--it's first come first served. Under no circumstances leave your luggage unattended at any point, even if it means you have to stand with it between cars for the whole ride. If you're on your own and carrying a large enough case, you might have trouble fitting it into a WC, both on the train and at the train station (station toilets are often down stairs and have barred, coin operated entries, so getting through them with luggage is a challenge.)

Also, Den Haag Centraal is currently undergoing a major refurbishment and is a bit more chaotic than usual. However, that said, they do seem to be trying to help passengers through the mess and confusion by having more staff patrolling. Look for someone in a uniform (often wearing a hat and usually a dark blue) standing about in areas where passengers are flowing by and ask any questions you might have. (Persons in uniform right on the tracks themselves next to the trains are likely to be conductors and can help with train-related questions, but maybe not so much local questions like where to find the taxi stand.) Just remember to greet them first (say hello or good morning/afternoon even in English) before you jump into questions. You'll get a much better response.

Enjoy the Hague!

4. Re: Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, May 17, 2012