We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Hotel and surroundings

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Hotel and surroundings

We will be staying at the new Hilton in the city center. Can anyone tell me if the there are stores or restaurants next to the hotel or within a very easy walk? I will need to keep myself busy during the day, but not stray too far from hotel. Thanks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,258 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

im not aware of a new hilton..there is the john and yoko hilton on apollolaan..its not exactly in city center..but its not way out in the sticks either...there is tram stop close by to get you into city center easily and quickly. you can explore the city center to kill time..not much shopping and eating around the hotel.its kind of suburbish out there....many more choices a short tram ride away...or walk, your choice of course..

EDIT - disregard, i thought this was an amsterdam post...den haag i cant help you!!!

Edited: 11:40 pm, April 15, 2011
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,214 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

Hi there,

It's between city centre and the beach suburbs. Yes, it has some density of stores and restaurants within walking distance; can't help with specific names.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

The Hague's city centre is very compact and easy to walk around so you shouldn't need to take any transportation.

Level Contributor
599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

This is the one on Zeestraat, yes?

What do you consider a short walk or not straying too far from the hotel? What kind of shopping interests you most? You might want to pay attention to what time shops are open. Other than grocery shops, many don't open before 10am, even in the Centrum. Monday mornings can also be closed. Most Centrum shops are open until 6pm weeknights and Thursday is late shopping night. Sunday, Centrum shops will be open, but shortened hours. Weekends get horribly crowded in the Centrum too.

Google Maps says it's a 13 minute walk from the hotel to the Binnenhof, which has a lovely view along the front and is very close to Mauritshuis museum and the rest of the Centrum area. From my point of view (I currently live in the Hague and not far from the area of your hotel--which is quite a nice area of the city), it's a pleasant and easy walk to the Centrum, but it wouldn't take me that long. It might depend on how often you stop and look about. The main Centrum shopping streets are Spui and Grote Markt and the areas around the Haagsche Bluf and Passage. Gedempte Gracht will put you around Chinatown. Might also look for Prinsestraat and Kalverstraat. Lots of other smaller side streets just as interesting weaving in and out of this area. Lots of places to eat and cafes to sit and people watch. Be aware that there is some major construction going on in some spots, as they are building a second Passage shopping/hotel area and doing other improvements. You'll see this most on Grote Markt near Wagenstraat. If you do a Google Maps search for Haagsche Bluf, and zoom in a bit, you'll start to see the streets and area I'm referring to. There are also two very nice Pathe cinemas.http://www.pathe.nl/bioscoopagenda/denhaag. Pathe Spui and Pathe Buitenhof are their names.

Your hotel is virtually on top of Panorama Mesdag and the Peace Palace and Escher Museum aren't far either.

If you'd like to go the other direction and take a nature walk, there are paths all along Scheveningseweg. Just be sure you aren't accidentally on the bike path. It's not as clear as where there are streets.

Also near your hotel is a little street called Piet Heinstraat. From Anna Paulownastraat to Zoutmanstraat, it has a nice collection of shops from charity/thrift to antiques and toys and some nice ethnic delis, Kelly's British Expat shop, plus a few cafes.

You could possibly take short tram hops to some of these areas, but if you're fit, wear comfy shoes for the wobbly paving stones, and the weather is nice, it's much easier and more fun to go walk about. By the time you waited for a tram, you could probably have already walked there. Unless you wanted to take a ride out to the beach. (You'd likely need Tram 1 or Tram 17 for that. Both an easy walk to a stop from your hotel, but Tram 1's Mauritskade stop is closest, with Tram 17's Elandstraat stop the other. Check http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ or http://www.htm.net/Pages/DEF/245.html for help with that. )

If you have specific types of shops you're interested in, I might be able to make further suggestions and tell you right where they are. I'm afraid I'll be no real help with restaurants, though. We rarely eat out due to food allergies.

Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

Within 2 minutes walk is the street Noordeinde, on which the queen has a palace. There are plenty of restaurants and bars on this street, which leads into the heart of the city centre. You're no more than 10 minutes walk from the very centre of The Hague. The area where the Hilton is located is a very safe and relatively upmarket district. Some nice restaurants along Laan van Meerdervoort and Javastraat, in the direction away from the city centre too.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

Thank you Casualist and Mongrelmuppet for your kind replies. I am back f rom the trip now, but will save this for the future.

7. Re: Hilton Hotel and surroundings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about The Hague
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question