We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
577 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

I know I'm planning a bit ahead, but we will be arriving the end of Sept. into Brussels. We (husband & I) are then going to Den Hague for just two days and then back to Brussel's to pick up my mother-in-law and going straight to Bruges. It seems from other posts that the train to Den Hague will take approx. 2 1/2 hours and about 30 euros each way. If this is correct, and then adding train travel costs to and from Bruges, that would add up to more than what we can rent a car for 5 days. We sure don't mind renting a car, but was wondering how traffic is between the three cities (Brussels to Den Hague and Brussels to Bruges) and how easy it is to get around by car. We will have a GPS with a European map on it. Any recommendations of train vs. car and time frames for driving these routes?

THANKS!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

to confirm i checked nshispeed...bru-centraal to den haag centraal...euro 60 roundtrip each...little over 2 hours long...i havent driven the exact loop you describe..but i have driven amsterdam to bruges..it was on a saturday morning and i flew down there and arrived about 3 hours later..but like any densely populated area the morning and evening rush hours will be bad during the week.

http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Edited: 9:32 pm, March 30, 2010
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

On peak hours it is really bad. Traffic jams around Brussels, Antwerpen, and The Hague. Weekends and friday mornings are ok.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

As Ger has said it really depends on what time and which day you are driving. If you can time things so that you leave around 10am in each direction you should avoid the worst of it. At peak times the traffic, particularly around Antwerp, is horrendous.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

I have driven to Brussels (from Amsterdam) and back just for dinner, so it is doable. Just avoid Friday evening rush hour!

Yes, traffic can be bad, notably around Rotterdam, as much as anywhere, and it is unavoidable on any trip between The Hague and Brussels. Driving on a Saturday or Sunday will be no problem and should be no problem during the week if you travel after 10.00 am and before 4.30 pm.

Antwerp can be a problem but the situation is much improved since completion of recent major road works.

The drive is easy - motorway/freeway from city centre to city centre. With fuel costs just over EUR 1.50/litre and car rental costs, however, I am not sure if there is an economic advatage to renting a car, but it will certainly give you flexibility to your travels.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,863 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

You don't seem to have factored in where you are going to park and the cost. Better investigate that before renting car.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
577 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

Thanks for the reply's which are most helpful. Just to clarify, we will be leaving Brussels about 10:00am on a Wednesday, we already have a place to stay & park free in Zoetermeer (and assuming there are buses and/or trains to The Hague for a day trip) and then have to be back to Brussels by 9:00 on Friday morning at the airport to pick up my mother-in-law. After going to Bruges, we are then going to Germany/Austria for 2 weeks so we could just keep the rental car from Brussels for the remaing trip. Between 3 people, it seems that maybe this is quite a bit less expensive than to do it all by train. Is diesel fuel much less expensive there and is it widely available if we were to rent a diesel car??

And how bad is "bad" traffic - does this mean possibly an hour or two delay in each city (Brussels, Antwerp, Rotterdam) on the way to and from Brussels/The Hague?

Thank you again so much for your help and your patience with all my questions!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

Leaving Brussels at 10am for Zoetermeer you should be ok and pretty well jam free. Obviously there is always a risk of accidents, road works, etc.

Getting back to Brussels for 9am on a Friday is another story all together. You'd need to hit Antwerp at the latest 7am to avoid the worst of the rush hour traffic. This means you'd have to leave Zoetermeer by 05.30. Failing that you'd need to travel the night before.

Diesel here is actually a bit more expensive than gas. You will pay a LOT more than you are used to in the US. It is currently around 6 euro a gallon. With the extra mileage you get from diesel it works out marginally cheaper than gas but there is not a lot in it.

As long as you pick up and drop off in the same country a car will almost certainly work out as less expensive than the train. Just be aware of the pitfalls. That said fair play to you for doing the research now.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

Leaving Brussels Airport at 10:00 am or so should not cause any grief in terms of road delays; the airport is close to th ering road and you will avoid the cityof Brussels entirely. There should be no delays around Antwerp or Rotterdam and you should be in Zoetermeer by mid-day.

There are plenty trains from Zoetermeer to The Hague, though it is still feasible to drive into The Hague from Zoetermeer - less than 15 minutes drive.

Getting to Brussels Airport by 9:00 am should be straightforward, though I would plan on leaving Zoetermeer/The Hague by 6:30 to get to the Airport by 9:00. You should be clear of the Rotterdam traffic and Antwerp may add an extra 30 minutes if you are there around 8:00 am.

You may also encounter heavy traffic on the Brussels ring but the exit for the airport is not too far from the point where you will join the ring road.

Without traffic jams your journey time between Brussels airport and Zoetermeer is well under 2.00 hours; and probaby nearer 2 hours 30 minutes with normal morning traffic.

Diesel will give you better consumption but it will also depend upon the size of car that you rent.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,863 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

"Diesel here is actually a bit more expensive than gas."

Not when I last looked Brian. Diesel is currenty around 1,12 per litre and gasoline around 1,45. you should also get some better fuel consumption with a diesel car so all round a better idea.

http://www.aaireland.ie/petrolprices/ will give you an adea of prices around Europe.

Avoid filling up at Higway services stations as they charge around 5-10% more than normal ones and never get caught in Belgium on a Sunday with no fuel. I'm talking from experience here.

In bad traffic it has taken me 5 hours to reach Brussels from Amsterdam, mainly getting stuck on the Antwerp ring. In decent traffic I've done it in 2 hours so thats about the best and worst case scenario. I'd aim to get past Antwerp by 0730 to avoid the worst of the traffic. And you'll need the GPS as Belgian signage is terrible.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How's the driving from Brussel's to Den Hague?

Diesel is cheaper than petrol/ benzin.

Maybe there is confusion with LPG which is fact is gas.

Rough prices:

Petrol95 - 1,50 euro

Diesel - 1,10

LPG - 0,65

You can't rent cars on LPG, most are on petrol (benzine), some are on Diesel. Fuel price of diesel per kilometer is about half compared to petrol.