We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Immingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rotterdam day trip from Hull

I am thinking of visiting Rotterdam on a minicruise from Hull later this month. I have previously visited Amsterdam, so wanted to do Rotterdam this time as I prefer to explorer as much of the world as possible as opposed to going to the same place as some people do.

Can anyone advise of where the coach will drop you off at Hull and possible recommend any waterside cafes or bars please?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

The ferry itself will dock at quite some distance from the city center of Rotterdam.

There are quite some bars/restaurants near the waterside in Rotterdam. Nhow hotel for example recently opened a bar in the brand new Koolhaas building De Rotterdam with a nice view (it's located on the 7th floor) on the Erasmus Bridge. You've also got "Prachtig", a restaurant located under the Erasmus Bridge, "Hotel New York" of course, "Zenne" in the Veerhaven, Bar/Brasserie "Water" on the ground floor of the Intell Hotel with a view on the Erasmus Bridge near the bridge, and some bars/restaurants on the former cruise ship De Rotterdam Steam Ship (for example Lido etc.). But you might also decide to walk a bit further inland towards the dynamic Witte de Withstraat which houses a lot of cafes and restaurants. I would really recommend to visit this street when looking for a bar or cafe. Another dinner option near the harbour: in the Westelijk Handelsgebouw in the historic Veerhaven multiple restaurants are located (like Biblio, Rokkaa) and in the Oude Haven (Old Harbour with the Witte Huis and Cubic Houses) you'll also find some cafes. Hopefully this information will help you to figure out where precisely you would like to look for a bar or cafe.

Edited: 3:48 pm, February 03, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Good suggestions by Jesper, I also like Hotel New York, Witte de Withstraat, Veerhaven, and the cube houses and Oude Haven (Old Harbor).

In Rotterdam you need to have a map and know where you're going, it's not a city to just wander around in because many parts are not so pretty.

I also love the Fotomuseum next to Hotel New York.

Enjoy!

Edited: 2:53 am, February 04, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Oude Haven is a nice district with bars and restaurants and also ho(s)tels. Grandcafe Loos is in the Veerhaven district and is next to a small harbor and popular among locals. Veerhaven and Oude Haven are probably the two best options as there is plenty of choice and the panoramic views are sweet.

Don't forget to take the watertaxi. The old one is authentic but slow, the yellow roofed is a thrill. Enjoy :)

Immingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Thanks for the comments. I would be getting a coach transfer from Europoort to Rotterdam centre, but I'm not sure where the drop off point is. I'm also slightly confused as to why the P&O itinery says that the coach transfer takes one hour in the morning and nearly two hours on the return leg in the afternoon. Would that be because traffic is so bad?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

The drop off point is next to the Rotterdam Central Station. From there you can easily walk the city. In the main hall of the station you'll find a tourist infopoint (VVV) where you can get a small booklet with a walking tour (€1,50) in english so you know where to go. The whole route is about 10 km so easy to do in a day and you'll see all the places mentioned here before.

If you're not lucky with the weather you might like the Miniworld Rotterdam. This is 1 minute from the dropoff point and one of the nicer attractions in the city. And there are many worth full museums in town of which the Boijmans and Kunsthal are the most famous ones.

I hope you'll have a nice stay!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,136 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

https://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pa…

The drop off point is clearly indicated on the P&O site

>>By bus/coach:

From Rotterdam Central Railway Station to Europoort: departure is at 17:00 hours at the "Eurolines" bus stop at Conradstraat, against TNT Post, next to the Albeda building (at the station side of the walking bridge). From Europoort to Rotterdam Central Railway Station: departure is after the arrival of the ship.<<

Immingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Thank you everyone for your help. Travel time from the port is 50-40 minutes according to Google maps, so maybe the itinerary times relate to an operating window for coaches etc as it doesn't seem that far or long a journey.

Does anyone happen to know if the coaches enter the city over the Erasmus bridge, that would be quite special I think, but I will get to see it if not.

I am looking forward to my trip from what you have all told me.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

Mind you that the TNT post office there has closed. But the green Albeda building is hard to miss.

Heusden-Zolder...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

The P&O coach enters the city centre through the Maas tunnel, a fascinating piece of Nazi engineering marvel. Just hop on a southbound streetcar for the Erasmus bridge experience.

UK
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rotterdam day trip from Hull

"I'm also slightly confused as to why the P&O itinery says that the coach transfer takes one hour in the morning and nearly two hours on the return "

Does it actually say that, or are you basing this on the departure time for the coach which is 1700?

The P&O web site says that last check-in is at 1900. If you have a whole coachload of passengers (say, 50 people), all on individual tickets, it will take about half an hour to get them all checked in - so the coach will need to arrive no later than 1830, meaning that with an approximate journey time of an hour it needs to depart at 1730 at the latest. It makes sense to allow about half an hour's leeway, so a 1700 departure sounds about right!