We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

Rotterdam, The...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

Visiting tourist from America. Today, I was fined on the train, after showing a pdf version of my train ticket on my ipad, because the ticket wasn't "printed out." Even though they agreed that the electronic version was proof-of-purchase (and literally the exact ticket), their argument was the ticket wasn't valid unless printed. They issued me a 37 Euro ticket, because I refused to pay on the spot. The only information they collected from me was my name, birthdate, and my drivers license number (did NOT give them my passport.) My question is: will I be forced to pay this fine, or can I l avoid it, considering the information that they got from me? (I do morally object to the justice of the fine, but really, that's not the point. The point is: do they have what they need in order to enforce their arbitrariness?)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

what part of "not valid if not printed" dont you understand? basically you are asking if you can slink out of the country without paying the fine. yes, probably. but they took enough information from you to flag you in the immigration database so that next time you come over and flash your passport..you might get hit up with the ticket. should have just paid it and been done with it. all you did was pi$$ them off and they will figure out some way to get you to pay.

Edited: 5:28 pm, April 01, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,801 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

I would not pay. If you have already paid the ticket then it does seem unjust to fine you for not understanding you had to print it out.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,882 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

You don't have much luck with train tickets, do you? That's two fines you've accumulated now.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,801 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

Ah a troll eh!

scotland
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

"" An e-ticket is only valid if it is printed in A4 size. The confirmation e-mail sent to you is not an e-ticket, but the attachment is. Travelling on the basis of a printout of the receipt is not permitted.""

Conditions

ns.nl/en/…the-e-ticket

Edited: 10:51 am, April 04, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,009 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

It does seem strange to me. Two visits months apart. Two posts and only two on TA----months apart.

And they are both about being fined at different times on public transportation in the NL.

Seems odd for sure.

Well over 20 trips here. Tram and train rides for sure. Never once fined or warned.

Odd for sure

Edited: 11:09 am, April 04, 2012
scotland
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

Perhaps its an April fool !!!!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

..."Perhaps its an April fool !!!!!"...

Or just a fool.

rotterdam
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

The ticket clearly states you need to print it out; reason for that is simply that they can not stamp your iPad :)

10. Re: Outrageous Fine- can I avoid paying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, June 19, 2013